zombie destruction

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: zombie destruction

Post by xcaliber »

I shoot frequently and don't see this at all. I use Zombie Slayer's in .003" & .001". I'm usually around 400 total grains. Something is not right. I recommend contacting Black Eagle.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!

Post by newbie »

Hunt it wrote:Wow, you guys better start shooting fish arrows out of those things! Did you mention the Diablos breaking to Excal? Shafts that break on impact of target not much good to anyone. Did any of these breaks happen with broadheads or just field point? I only shoot broadheads 99.8% of time.
ilThey were all field points. all close range 10 yards or less doing chrony work. The zombie i chalked up to just a bad shaft.
My diablos or quills....well they are cheap brittle shafts. Why i went to the BEAs and i didnt think Excalibur needed to be told as that kind of shooting is hard on them. I found they broke just looking at them but YMMV.
The fish arrows ill leave for Kevin....not my thing but thanks for the advice.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

Shafts should not break going into a foam target. No way I'd trust those hunting. Honestly I only hunt with aluminums (I hate the thought of carbon splinters in my meat) but that's probably a little off-topic.

Good luck... hope you get it figured out.
~E
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Something is not right as I stated earlier. Perhaps others will have some advice, carbon shafts should not do this. At quill length they should be even stronger/stiffer :?: :?: :?: :idea:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Don't get too excited about the broken arrows. Your arrows are fine. I've seen this many times. With any of these bows, you're generating a tremendous amount of force and when that force is met with an abrupt and sudden halt in a target like a Rhinehart this can happen. The closer you are the greater the likelihood. Nothing against the black eagles or the Rhinehart. I also have a Spyderweb target that I reserve for 30yards and further. Understand that these targets are built to stop arrows and you'd be hard pressed to have this happen on an animal unless your arrow was damaged or the spine was broken. That being said, I suggest a bag target such as the Rag Bag. I keep one in my house, my shop and my yard. I can shoot it with a 420 from five feet away all day long. This style of target creates a 'softer' stop of the arrow without the same risk of breaking the spine or damaging the shafts like you see in the picture. I'm not saying this in a patronizing way at all because I'm aware you guys know this already, I'm just saying it out loud. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Good info Paul. I have a hurricane bag target that I will bring in to use. I have been flinging a bunch of arrows in the evening in my basement just for fun and to keep my back limber.

I blame my high powered micros.... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

For close shooting I double up the bag type targets. Maybe that is why I have not seen this happen.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Good info Paul. I have a hurricane bag target that I will bring in to use. I have been flinging a bunch of arrows in the evening in my basement just for fun and to keep my back limber.

I blame my high powered micros.... :)
FWIW, even though my Vortex and Micro generate very similar velocities with similar wt. arrows, the Micro arrows definitely seem to hit harder to me. I figure the stiffness increase (both shooting Zombies but at 20" vs 16") from the shorter arrow allows for better stabilization and there fore more concentrated force upon impact.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><

Post by newbie »

paulaboutform wrote:Don't get too excited about the broken arrows. Your arrows are fine. I've seen this many times. With any of these bows, you're generating a tremendous amount of force and when that force is met with an abrupt and sudden halt in a target like a Rhinehart this can happen. The closer you are the greater the likelihood. Nothing against the black eagles or the Rhinehart. I also have a Spyderweb target that I reserve for 30yards and further. Understand that these targets are built to stop arrows and you'd be hard pressed to have this happen on an animal unless your arrow was damaged or the spine was broken. That being said, I suggest a bag target such as the Rag Bag. I keep one in my house, my shop and my yard. I can shoot it with a 420 from five feet away all day long. This style of target creates a 'softer' stop of the arrow without the same risk of breaking the spine or damaging the shafts like you see in the picture. I'm not saying this in a patronizing way at all because I'm aware you guys know this already, I'm just saying it out loud. :wink:

Paul
bingo Paul. its a ton of force on the arrow stopping that fast.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I am shooting 20 inch Zombies out of the 405 into an 18-1 and have never had any issues. Mind you I am always shooting 20+ yards and using a broadhead as I only shoot the target to check my hunting zero.

Total bolt and head weight of 450 grains and +/- 365 fps.

Did have one shatter on a deer but that was on a shot that broke both shoulder blades. Passed through and broke near side fine and broke offside shoulder as well but shattered on the offside shoulder blade.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Do you have weighted inserts in these arrows? Would that break be near the end of that insert? I could see if the shaft is flexing (which it should) and the flex is right near the end of that weight that it would eventually stress the fibers in the arrow at that point and generate a weak area in the arrow shaft. This would eventually fracture it seems ... Just wondering.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The inserts I use are 110gr brass inserts..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, But could the Arrows be hitting the target slightly crooked at that range due too the fletching not taking control yet ???
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

8ptbuk wrote:I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, But could the Arrows be hitting the target slightly crooked at that range due too the fletching not taking control yet ???
It would be interesting to see a slo-mo video of this at close range. Hard to imagine a ZS flexing very much but you know it is happening.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

no expert on carbon arrows but just feeling shooting at 10 yds or less at hard target or something hard behind target etc could do this.I seen carbon arrows blow apart hitting rock at 30 yards so shooting that close at hard target it could happen..