Toxic broadheads for black bear? Thougts/advice?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bowmajik

Toxic broadheads for black bear? Thougts/advice?

Post by bowmajik »

Hi all I'm baiting bears for the spring hunt and thinking about throwing toxic's on my bolts. Never hunted bear before and I was wondering if they'd be a good BH choice? Input from people who have harvested bears with them would be greatly appreciated! :)
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
125 grain slicktrick magnum's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Big John 16in zombie slayers +lumeknock and blazers(289gn)
Reinyrooster

Re: Toxic broadheads for black bear? Thougts/advice?

Post by Reinyrooster »

I can't speak from experience using this broadhead on a bear as I have never yet harvested a bear ( hopefully this fall ) but I like the design and concept of the Toxic broadheads. My only concern with them is if your shot is not 100% accurate, they don't open a very large wound, whereas a larger head whether fixed blade or mechanical, would allow some room for error due to the size of their wound channel created. We have to be realistic and understand that our shot is not always 100% on target.
Having said that, I like the shape of the Toxic and the hole that it will punch through the animal.....however if you miss the vitals, it might be a small enough hole that the animal could survive.
That's just my 2 cents.....ain't worth much.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The toxics are phenomenal, leaving HUGE blood in my experience. I haven't shot bears with them but have shot deer and lots of hogs, including some monsters. The toxics have almost five full inches of cutting surface (in the 100gr) which is more than any mechanicals I can think of. Be aware though, they do not penetrate like a magnus stinger or buzzcut or qad exodus. Bears are thin skinned however so I imagine thirtyish yard shots with your micro should be fine.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Thanks for the reply gents! The 7/8 inch cut is what is throwing me off..I own some that I bought for deer hunting but I had some arrows made up for me that were recommended to be used with 100-125 grain BH'S for optimal KE and velocity....Decisions decisions, I like the toxic's based on their accuracy but I also want a big hole esp for hunting where I hunt Cuz it's THICK woods
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bowmajik wrote:Thanks for the reply gents! The 7/8 inch cut is what is throwing me off..I own some that I bought for deer hunting but I had some arrows made up for me that were recommended to be used with 100-125 grain BH'S for optimal KE and velocity....Decisions decisions, I like the toxic's based on their accuracy but I also want a big hole esp for hunting where I hunt Cuz it's THICK woods
I'm guessing you want a better big hole to get big blood trails. DO NOT BE FOOLED by the cut diameter of the toxic. You're a little hung up on the size and the coring effect is something you'd really have to see to believe. If you're concerned about making a bad shot think of taking closer shots where that's not a concern. Just my thoughts. Sounds like you've already decided. You should check out the FOC'S or spitfires, probably a little more up your alley. :wink:

Paul
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

It's one thing to say the Toxics have 5 inches of cutting surface, but remember that is NOT 5 inches measured across from any tip to tip, it is 5 inches that curves around in a relatively tight area....don't get me wrong, I like them. I'm just saying a broadhead that opens up to make a cut that is 2 or 3 inches across leaves you a little more margin for error if you arrow placement isn't bang on.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I use the Boltcutters for bear. Have never had them(bears) go more than 50 yards before expiring. I'm still using the same Boltcutters that I got six years ago when I bought my Equinox. Short of hitting a brick wall with them, they stand up to anything. I am curious whether the plugs that the toxics leave will plug the holes up stopping bleeding?
Hank
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Hankenhunter that's my thought exactly, I have no doubt that they'll do damage I'm just concerned with fat/skin/hair will clog the wounds making the blood trail weak.. My 2 tree stands are situated about 15 yards and 25 yards from my bait so I don't think distance will really come into play. Thanks for all the info though, keep it coming
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have shot the toxic its ok but not my choice for bears i have shot several bears my last 4 with a xbow i would use a ramcat --slick trick or a spitfire jmo
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

There are many great broadheads out there, like the ones mentioned. However, if you're concerned about a toxic thinking it may clog up your concerns are unfounded. The coring wound the toxic creates makes it virtually impossible to close. There's a far greater chance of any traditional style closing. I would be more concerned about shot placement and penetration with a lighter draw weight bow.

Paul
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

My xbow has a 280lb draw weight so I don't think I'll have an issue there. I also strategically placed my baits close to my stands (15 and 23 yards) so shot placement shouldn't be an issue either if I do my part and the bear give me a nice broadside or slight quartering away shot. Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bowmajik wrote:My xbow has a 280lb draw weight so I don't think I'll have an issue there. I also strategically placed my baits close to my stands (15 and 23 yards) so shot placement shouldn't be an issue either if I do my part and the bear give me a nice broadside or slight quartering away shot. Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated
Sounds like a great setup you've got. All the bears I've shot have been spot and stalk as baiting bears is illegal in B.C.. What a great way to control your shot distance, environment and judge the size of the bear you take. Good luck. :wink:

Paul
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Thanks Paul, much appreciated! I think I'm going to take the toxic's bolt cutters and slick trick magnums with me and hunt with a different one each day, just going to return tune my bow each day to match whatever BH's I'll be using lol...problem solved :lol:
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bowmajik wrote:Thanks Paul, much appreciated! I think I'm going to take the toxic's bolt cutters and slick trick magnums with me and hunt with a different one each day, just going to return tune my bow each day to match whatever BH's I'll be using lol...problem solved :lol:
:shock: How many bears are you allowed to shoot?!!! :mrgreen:

Paul
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Lol one bear :lol:. But I'm probably not going to see a bear each day.. Changing bh's gives me the random option to use whichever one on the bear I choose to take plus I get to shoot my bow more and practice while I'm at my camp :lol: 8)
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey