Limb deflection versus speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jefrohio

Limb deflection versus speed

Post by jefrohio »

I have read on this forum and been told that with the exo series crossbows the speed was always determined by the length of the rail, all the limbs were the same.
With the newer micro and matrix Bows I see that isn't the case anymore
The micro 315, 335 and 355 all have a 10 inch power stroke and use the same string and arrow
The grizzly has a longer power stroke than the matrix 330 and 310 yet is slower with the same string and arrow. Models 355 and up do have a longer power stroke
Am I missing something here?? can someone please clarify thanks. Jefrohio
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
wildcatter

Re: Limb deflection versus speed

Post by wildcatter »

Some risers have the limb pockets on a different angle, but all Micro limbs, are the same as are the Matrix, it is all in how much stress, and the power stroke are put on the limbs!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

So there's three different risers for the micro series respectively, each machined at a slightly forward angle to increase the load on the limbs
And with the matrix series the cub and the bulldog have the same limbs also just different risers correct ?
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub

Post by newbie »

speed is still determined by the power stroke. the matrix and micro series is no different that way. The matrix series has a few risers the will change the speed. Micro series had two but only one going forward..... unless there are new bows in the works. the rails are all different in the Micro. they need to update the specs.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Boo

Post by Boo »

The older long limbed bows, the Matrix and the Micro all have different risers involved. The Vixen had both flat and forward risers. The Matrix and Mirco have risers with different limb deflection as well.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

I was under the impression that with a forward riser and a straight riser the string would sit at the same brace height and have the same power stroke but the forward riser would preload the limbs thus creating a faster speed ? Thanks fellas helping me out here
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

That's right, I forgot with the exo series there was a cast riser, a machined straight riser and machine forward riser. With all things being equal would the string on a straight riser sit at the same brace height as the string with the forward riser ? ( same power stroke)
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
Boo

Post by Boo »

The string on a flat riser is longer. The forward riser string is lots too short for the flat riser.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

Boo wrote:The string on a flat riser is longer. The forward riser string is lots too short for the flat riser.
Eeeehh?? Now I'm confused, you see my mama dropped me on my head so many times my nickname is basketball :lol: . I thought string length was the same no matter what riser? You mean (string) brace height sits higher on a (flat) straight riser and low on the forward right ?? Thanks for trying to undumb me fellas :lol: Jefrohio
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
Prédateur

Post by Prédateur »

Boo wrote:The string on a flat riser is longer. The forward riser string is lots too short for the flat riser.
So do the matrix 310 with a swept back riser use a different string than the other matrix.