Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Hog Hunting/Eating Questions

Post by Hunt it »

Carp looking better by the post :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Hunt it wrote:Carp looking better by the post :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've eaten carp many times. Blech I say. Would rather eat questionable road kill. :lol: Hank
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ahh heck a hunts a hunt i get all exited stalkin geese in sept. And wackin em with the crossbow its like a poor mans utopia wackin a greater canada goose with a big spitfire max is quite a thrill. Ranging and settin up for a forty yard shot is awsome. And they never jump the string even at long range.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Big Red 1.. Good luck to you on your hog trip. You are gonna love it! The most exciting hunting i've ever done, including bear. An'it nothing like hearing em some times coming in snorting and grunting and raising hell, guaranteed to get your heart pumping and the hairs on your arm standing. And it don't matter how you go about it. At night with lighted scopes or crossbow, (my favorite) they are all good. And like said before the meat is finger licking good!! For eating i really go for the sows 200# and less the prime at about 150# and less, And as for the boars young 150# and less. My son and I average at least 10 to fifteen a year. And we do all the butchering ourselves, The only thing we take to the butcher house is ...And we like to do a 50-50 mix of deer and hog is for sausage.. We got us a redneck down the road that whips up the best sausage that will ever pass your teeth...Smile. Any how have fun.. I know even an old (LEG) like yourself is gonna bring home some bacon...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Bubba, I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I've been waiting on it. I appreciate it.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Killed about half a dozen of them nasty roto-tilling vermin this past turkey season. The buzzards ate like kings.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm curious how you would protect the meat from spoilage?

Between the time you get your first animal till you get your last one, there could be a fair bit of time pass. It sounds as though there would be a lot of time taken up with travel getting back home to your freezer, after your hunting is done.

Would outside temperatures be cold enough to freeze and keep meat frozen?

Can meat be salted first and then smoked later? Maybe you need to start looking for some "food quality" plastic 50 gallon drums that seal up tight.

Canning with jars would certainly preserve the meat, but your time away from home would not be spent only hunting and driving. Preserving in jars takes up a lot of time (did it with deer meat and fish). It's a fair bit of work, but the results can be healthy eats.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Game meat boned out or quartered will keep fine for about 5-7 days in coolers if you fill coolers with ice and water. Drain water everyday and add fresh water with more ice. This also draws all blood out of meat and when home it should hang in butchers cooler for 1-2 days before processing. I've used this on elk, antelope, sheep,deer and hogs without any issues. Your only other option is to haul freezer and generator on trailer or find butcher near by hunt area to process and freeze meat until you pick it up when heading home.