Long Range shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cmarcum

Long Range shooting

Post by cmarcum »

Just bought a Matrix 405. I would like to be accurate to 100 yards. I was hoping to glean some knowledge from the more experienced shooters here. What is your most accurate setup, including scope, bolt type( diablo?), broadhead brand and weight? I am considering a Huskemaw 3 x 32 crossfield scope or a hawke XB30 PRO SR RETICLE and using 150gr BAT Boltcutters. I won't know the actual FPS of my bow as it has not arrived yet but plan to use a Flemish string, unless someone can give evidence for a better one.

Thanks
georgiaboy

Re: Long Range shooting

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!! :) :)
I'm shooting a Matrix 350LE...set up is a Hawke SR 30 scope, Flemish string, 18" BEE .001 arrows with 110gr brass inserts up front using 100gr spitfires. My total arrow weight is 421grs shooting @ 321fps. 8)
Deadly accurate out to 70yds which is as far as I've shot it. :mrgreen:
Good luck
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
cmarcum

Post by cmarcum »

Cool. Thanks, Georgiaboy. What is BEE bolt?
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

cmarcum wrote:Cool. Thanks, Georgiaboy. What is BEE bolt?
Black Eagle Excutioners...the brand of arrow. You may want to shoot something with a stiffer spine out of the 405. Check out Spynal Taps and Zombie slayers. :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm assuming you're talking about target shooting at 100yards and not hunting as that's really not a good idea. For long range shooting I'd suggest 18" Black Eagle Zombie Slayer shafts with 110 grain brass inserts and plastic flat nocks. Fletched with 2" Blazer vanes on an Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt fletching jig. You can shoot either 100gr or 110 grain points with this setup. As for scopes, I'm partial to the Vortex Viper XB-R crossbow scope but also really like the Luepold VX-R 3-9X40's with the ballistic Firedot reticle. You may, and I strongly recommend, the HHA Optimizer. You'll need the range dial extension bracket for it to work on your bow. You mount it on your existing rail and mount the scope of your choice onto the HHA. When set up correctly it's very accurate and you'll have marks out to 100yards in one yard increments. You'll need a scope with at least five power magnification to see what you're shooting at 100yards.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

For 100 yard shooting the Hawke is hard to beat. Only better scope optionis Vortex XBR. Get yourself some 20" zombie shafts with 110 gr inserts and use 100 gr broadheads, many good ones I've settled on G5 Strikers.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Here is a thread I started a while back of myself shooting 100 yards... I listed all my gear and arrow specs..

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=62317
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... I might also suggest that you check out SEW's (Steve) postings... SEW has a 405 fitted out to make it as quiet as humanly possible in addition to regularly shooting out to 100 yards!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
SEW

Post by SEW »

My most accurate set up to date, with my M405 , is with an Optimizer, Duralyt 2-8 (VXR 3-9 is a great choice!) , Dr Stirrup stirrup and string bumpers, TT trigger, a good, forgiving string from Boo or Vixenmaster, cocking with C-2 (more consistent), Optimizer extension, I use an arrow retention spring with relatively low tension on the arrow plus double shrink wrapped. I've found that 26g insert and 170g point is adequate for great groupings but have since gone to 50g inserts when using 3" vanes. SK300 slightly edged out the helical Blazers in accuracy testing.
Big John, Boo, and Jerry all make class act arrows. Extreme accuracy can only be obtained with custom, matched arrows. I've found the Schwackers and FOC broadheads to be the most accurate. With these near field point broadheads, 195g total weight is sufficient for helical Blazers and plastic nocks. For SK300sor other 3" vanes or heavier inserts, consider 210-220g total point weight. Use benchrest technics.
FWIW, my BD400 is shooting very slightly more accurately than my M380 &M405.
Though I don't believe this is a factor even in long range hunting, the BD400 seems to have a slight accuracy edge over the M380&405. The power stroke of the BD is slightly longer than the 405 yet the poundage is 10# less which is likely a factor. I have 2 stage 2.5# TTs in each Matrix but just the untouched factory trigger in the BD. Yes, there is a difference; but I haven't noticed any adverse effect accuracy-wise or negatives in general usage with the BD trigger. I'm currently torn between the M405 and the BD. The M405 is 20'/sec faster but isn't quite as well balanced as the slightly more accurate BD400. Which ever one I'm using is my favorite Xbow .

The M380 with a XB75.

The M405

Last edited by SEW on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmarcum

Post by cmarcum »

Wow, so much information to digest. Thanks to all those responding. It seems Black eagle zombie bolts are highly recommended with Excalibur crossbows. Did any of you using them attempt using Excalibur diablo's? Are Excalibur bolts just not very accurate? I am thinking I would like at least min. 400gr total bolt/broadhead weight for higher KE for use on elk out to 60 yds. I can't really fathom an animal still standing there for an arrow to hit its mark past that with the way they jump string even at these arrow speeds. But I would like to practice to 100 yds.

While I would like to check out the Vortex XBR, its been discontinued and very difficult to locate even on ebay/online. I did find a couple. The Hawke gets a vote of confidence from a couple of you, so I will keep that in mind. I would still like to hear from someone if they have used the huskemaw crossbow scope. I talked with customer service rep. today to get some details. Its basically setup with a turrent that you collect data on by shooting your bow. Figuring out how much adjustment is needed for each yardage mark you wish to have on the turret until you reach one revolution. The Hawke is appealing because it has hash marks in the scope for every ten yards to 100 yds.

I have not quite figured out how the HHA works after watching a couple videos. It seems simple to setup but how does it work? Is it raising and lowering the rail? Appears to be very accurate.
cmarcum

Post by cmarcum »

SEW wrote:My most accurate set up to date, with my M405 , is with an Optimizer, Duralyt 2-8 (VXR 3-9 is a great choice!) , Dr Stirrup stirrup and string bumpers, TT trigger, a good, forgiving string from Boo or Vixenmaster, cocking with C-2 (more consistent), Optimizer extension, I use an arrow spring with relatively low tension on the arrow plus double sharing wrapped. I've found that 26g insert and 170g point is adequate for great groupings but have since gone to 50g inserts when using 3" vanes. SK300 slightly edged out the helical Blazers.
Big John, Boo, and Jerry all make class act arrows. Extreme accuracy can only be obtained with custom, matched arrows. I've found the Schwackers and FOC broadheads to be the most accurate. With these near field point broadheads, 195g total weight is sufficient for helical Blazers and plastic nocks. For SK300sor other 3" vanes or heavier inserts, consider 210-220g total point weight. Use benchrest technics.

The M380 with a XB75.
]
SEW I am not familiar with all of those arrows or broadheads. Do you recommend 18 or 20 inch bolts? I have no experience with setting up arrows, FOC, inserts etc. Is broadhead weight not so important if you simple increase the insert weight to achieve proper Kinetic energy to get a pass thru on an animal? How does vane length/ height play into this scenario? Longer vanes more accuracy at long range but decrease speed?
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

If you have the chance to get this scope in us or canada, this is perfekt for long range shooting. At a zoom with 3.5 zoom I can aim from 10 till 100 meters (110 yards). AIA FRS 101

https://www.arrowinapple.de/zubehoer/zf ... rohre/188/
Micro Bulldog 335
Micro 308 Short
BD 330
Woodstock 342 (Matrix)
Matrix 355 with 310 Riser
cmarcum

Post by cmarcum »

paulaboutform wrote:I'm assuming you're talking about target shooting at 100yards and not hunting as that's really not a good idea. For long range shooting I'd suggest 18" Black Eagle Zombie Slayer shafts with 110 grain brass inserts and plastic flat nocks. Fletched with 2" Blazer vanes on an Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt fletching jig. You can shoot either 100gr or 110 grain points with this setup. As for scopes, I'm partial to the Vortex Viper XB-R crossbow scope but also really like the Luepold VX-R 3-9X40's with the ballistic Firedot reticle. You may, and I strongly recommend, the HHA Optimizer. You'll need the range dial extension bracket for it to work on your bow. You mount it on your existing rail and mount the scope of your choice onto the HHA. When set up correctly it's very accurate and you'll have marks out to 100yards in one yard increments. You'll need a scope with at least five power magnification to see what you're shooting at 100yards.

Paul
Thanks Paul. I definitely would not consider 100 shots at animals but 50-60 yds max. ON the Zombie shafts, why plastic nocks? I went to the BE website and you have to select individual components. Are these simple to assemble? So I need to select 18 inch bolt length, then the 110 gr brass inserts, and nock type. Can you get them already fletched?
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I order my BEE's from Wyvern Creations...you should check out their website.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
SEW

Post by SEW »

I don't think animals jump the string as often as they jump the arrow noise. Especially at >30-40 Yds. It's the combined weight of the insert/broadhead that counts. Fixed blades need slightly more foc. With the speeds of the 400/405 xbows penetration isn't a problem with any acceptable foc. The more helical vanes are, the more their drag. Vane weight is also a factor. SK300s in offset vs Blazers in radical helical likely almost balance out in drag. Diablos are great arrows but don't compare to custom arrows. 18" are preferred, IMO , with the BD400.