Long Range shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sonnyboy

Re: HHA optimizer set up help needed

Post by sonnyboy »

Hello, I just got my first crossbow the matrix 380 an had cabellas install the HHA optimizer. Now I don't know if putting the optimizer rail on top of the Excalibur rail is correct, for if it is, I need a check rest 2" high, to line up the scope, an not shoot the crossbow like a bazooka....When I called HHA, a women answered the phone an told me rifle scopes like a leupold won't work on a crossbow because of the unusual recoil???????.....How the heck can I get my new crossbow set up with improved check rest??? Leupold scope's work with the 380's.???? Please help me.......wow!!! sheesh!!! H E L P....sonnyboy
flightattendant100

Re: HHA optimizer set up help needed

Post by flightattendant100 »

sonnyboy wrote:Hello, I just got my first crossbow the matrix 380 an had cabellas install the HHA optimizer. Now I don't know if putting the optimizer rail on top of the Excalibur rail is correct, for if it is, I need a check rest 2" high, to line up the scope, an not shoot the crossbow like a bazooka....When I called HHA, a women answered the phone an told me rifle scopes like a leupold won't work on a crossbow because of the unusual recoil???????.....How the heck can I get my new crossbow set up with improved check rest??? Leupold scope's work with the 380's.???? Please help me.......wow!!! sheesh!!! H E L P....sonnyboy
The HHA does put your scope up very high. You will have more of a chin weld than a cheek weld. There are some threads you can search, that have different solutions for this. Leupold scopes will hold up fine on your Excalibur. Those with higher magnification may start showing some problems with parallax. However many here use Leupold scopes with great success. Enjoy your new Excal., and welcome to forum
paulaboutform

Re: Long Range shooting

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Sonnyboy. She's mistaken. Period. Luepold and many other rifle scopes hold up fine on even the most powerful crossbows. I use HHA's as well and they're awesome. What I've done on my M380 is buy a detachable Cheekrest from Amazon.com that I believe was around $30.00 USD. I can't remember the exact price but remember it being inexpensive. It's very rugged and solid, very well made. It's called the Tourbon Adjustable Cheek Rest and comes with three different height inserts that will allow you to fit it perfectly for your eye and give you a perfect cheek weld. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new bow.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have spoken with that particular female CS rep at HHA before and she knows absolutely NOTHING about the product she services. The first question she asks to someone who is having issues with their product is, "Are you using a crossbow scope?" Which of course nobody does on an HHA. When the predictable answer is NO, she takes the shortcut to thinking and says, "Well now there's is your problem!" That being said, anyone else at HHA is knowledgable and the company stands behind their product 100%.

I use a Leupold 3-9x40mm VXR riflescope and there are no issues at all with it. You will get used to a chin weld...it takes time. Guys who shoot AR rifles can attest to that. If you don't have low rings and your scope will allow for them, they would help drop the scope a bit. Alternatively you can build up the cheek rest to the height you want or buy a Tourbon, like Paul suggested. For 100y shooting, it's hard to beat an HHA/Leupold VXR combo.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
sonnyboy

raised cheek rest

Post by sonnyboy »

Now that I am thinking about it, I am going to try the leather M1 Grand leather cheek rest to raise up for a scope to line up............Oh, one more thing, when deer hunting an the deer is a bit further out, how do you get the bolt to the deer with the thump of the crossbow firing an making noise. Don't the deer jump the string????............sonnyboy
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

BigJohn on this sight makes some really nice Custom Zombies.

Southshorearchery.com makes some nice custom Spynal Tapps.
(These are the same as Zombies)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
cmarcum

Post by cmarcum »

cmarcum wrote:
SEW wrote:My most accurate set up to date, with my M405 , is with an Optimizer, Duralyt 2-8 (VXR 3-9 is a great choice!) , Dr Stirrup stirrup and string bumpers, TT trigger, a good, forgiving string from Boo or Vixenmaster, cocking with C-2 (more consistent), Optimizer extension, I use an arrow spring with relatively low tension on the arrow plus double sharing wrapped. I've found that 26g insert and 170g point is adequate for great groupings but have since gone to 50g inserts when using 3" vanes. SK300 slightly edged out the helical Blazers.
Big John, Boo, and Jerry all make class act arrows. Extreme accuracy can only be obtained with custom, matched arrows. I've found the Schwackers and FOC broadheads to be the most accurate. With these near field point broadheads, 195g total weight is sufficient for helical Blazers and plastic nocks. For SK300sor other 3" vanes or heavier inserts, consider 210-220g total point weight. Use benchrest technics.

The M380 with a XB75.
]
Are you using SHWackers 100 gr or 125 gr broadheads? I see that they also have a crossbow version. Did you use the 125 gr original? I ordered some custom arrows from southsidearcherysupply. Spynaltapps with 110 gr inserts, 18inch bolts. With 18inch bolts I calculate 163.8 gr + 110 gr insert = 273.8 gr. A 100 gr broadhead would give about 374 gr bolt. Wouldn't the additional 25 gr (from 125 gr broadhead) provide more accuracy and stability vs the 100 gr broadhead?
SEW

Post by SEW »

Concerning foc, more is not necessarily better. Once enough is obtained for optimal grouping at your longest range, more doesn't tighten the group any more but it does cause more drop with distance. It just starts nosing down.
For very low drag, expandible points, with helical Blazers or offset SK300s, I prefer 26g inserts with 170g points (196g). My new Spynal Tapp arrows with 50g inserts really start to drop after 70-80 yards (50g + 170g = 220g). This weight is good for fixed blades but counter productive for low drag expandibles.
huskemaw1

Post by huskemaw1 »

I wish I would have seen this post a month ago.. I have the Huskemaw 3x32 scope and cant say enough about it.. I am not the type to get on a forum and start throwing bullcrap against the wall.. I was in Maine on a bearhunt last week with my Excalibur 405 matrix topped with the Huskemaw scope. I told a few guys in camp that my setup was capable of shooting a 4 inch group at 100 yds. and they asked me to demonstrate. I actually shot a inch group at 100 yds. lucky I guess.
The custom turret on the Huskemaw allows you to shoot even longer than 100 yds. but I never have tried. I am in the process of videoing myself at the range so others can see it first hand. The scope is $399.00 and in my opinion, well worth the ability to accurately shoot out to 100 yds. BTW it is camo in color and has Illuminated reticle as well, your choice of green or red. If you have any further questions about it, call me at 860-604-2890.
cmarcum

Post by cmarcum »

I bought the huskemaw scope. I have not shot it yet. Did you just send in the arrow/broadhead weights and speed to huskemaw or did you actually shoot it to get the turret engraved?
huskemaw1

Post by huskemaw1 »

I actually just became a pro-Dealer for Huskemaw and Best of The West, if you call the shop in Cody, WY. And ask to talk to someone in the turret department, inform him that you are shooting the Excalibur 405 and he already has all the data to make you a custom turret that has detailed instructions as to how to install.. It's one screw and very easy to install.. I live in CT.. More than happy to assist if your from New England area
cmarcum

Post by cmarcum »

Updating post:

I have my bow setup and sighted in. I am using the Huskemaw crossbow scope. I collected my own arrow drop data with hands on shooting to send in for the turret. I am using Spynaltap 18 inch bolts with 110 gr inserts, plastic nocks, 125 gr SWHacker broadheads, Flex Fletch SK-300 Vanes. My bow shoots these 407 gr bolts @ +/- 368 ft/sec. I made the mistake of shooting at the same spot and I shot the fletching off of one bolt @ 70 yds. @ 100 yrds shot 2.5 in group. I am quite impress with the performance. This of course was shooting from a bench rest. I did use the C-2 cocking aid while sighting in also.

Edit: SEW, I also installed theDbKiller kit and I was impressed by how quiet it shoots compared to prior. Incidentally, shooting speed prior to any of the above using only stock string and bolts with 150 gr field tip was 380 ft/sec. I now use the string purchased from Michael on this forum board.

Thanks for all your input during this process.
Last edited by cmarcum on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I think your set up is excellent. TT ? String? I think the Spynal Tap spine matched/indexed can't hurt. I found SK300s ever so more slightly accurate than Blazers (which I use). The Schwackers have the least steering of any expandible broadhead except for the long demised Puckett. I think you've achieved your goal.
Incidentally, the Dr Stirrup kit is the icing on the cake.