Air-Brakes Review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Air-Brakes Review

Post by Boo »

When Peter started, the bows were pretty slow. When the Mag Tips were introduced the bow speeds were higher and increasing in the following years. With the increase of speed came less forgiving setups.
When the tiller is off the center of the string will pulled to the direction of the stiffer limb. So if the tiller is off the arrow will want to be dragged off center of the mainframe causing an arrow to depart from the bow askew causing erratic flight. The arrow will first depart from the bow with it's rear end towards the stiff limb and then try to go back to the flight vector and then wobble back and forth before stabilizing. Couple that with a fixed broadhead and you get erratic flight.
So the faster bows cause more string pressure from the string onto the arrow causing more grip at the nock. So that poor nock travel on high poundage bows can cause even greater effect on arrow flight. This is why less poundage bows tend to be more accurate.
Heavier arrows tend to be more accurate because it resists the poor nock travel because of inertia and lighter arrows are easily influenced.
Keep in mind that there's 2 objects exactly alike so there's no 2 limbs precisely the same deflection wise. So it's a matter of degrees not a go/no go situation.
Take my 165 Exocet. The launch is pretty gentle compared to an Excocet 200/Matrix etc. So if my tiller is off the nock travel may be off to one side but the nock will slide along the string and remain inline with the arrow groove of the mainframe.
This business with tiller and speed is exactly why mechanicals work so well. If launched from a bow with poor tiller, the arrow will still come out of the bow askew but having no blades to grip the air, the arrow stabilizes quickly.
Take a bow with poor (to a degree) tiller and shoot it with a field point and you get good accuracy. Put a wide fixed blade on it and you'll get poor accuracy. Of course, really bad tiller gives you bad accuracy with or without fixed broadheads.
Good nock travel is important to all bows, crossbows and vertical bows included.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

All good stuff, are the Air Brakes any darn good? Who has them, who has Db readings that can be displayed, etc! Lot of money for these, and maybe something not necessarily beneficial. I think the whole limb deflection topic is great, but sort of unrelated in my opinion. Just saying.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....my only real thought in possibly wanting them is not related to quieting the bow down...so far the deer that I have shot (31 yards or less) have not seemed to mind the sound...

...what I am concerned is will these AB's extend the life of the limbs....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

amythntr wrote:...what I am concerned is will these AB's extend the life of the limbs....

Anthony :)
Because the main effect is noise reduction, the energy effected is dirty energy which is after the arrow leaves the string, so I doubt it will help in that respect Anthony.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I wouldn't buy them but whatever floats your boat!
My deer like noise just before I pop them!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Silent K

Post by Silent K »

Hi guys, I am just new to this forum but I have been using it as a "go to" for a lot of great info,so thanks for all of that. My bow is a 355 Matix. I have added the baby bumpers,trigger tech,leupold vendetta and custom string. I have just purchased the Air Brakes but haven't installed them yet. This morning I downloaded a sound level app and my bow is averaging 85db when I install the air brakes I will update. I don't expect any miraculous noise reduction but I am really hoping to reduce vibration to protect the vendetta (I have mine mounted out on the riser) I also installed an Hha optimizer but I am waiting for the extension to come because my rope cocker hits it. I will keep you guys informed.
K.
bigrak

Post by bigrak »

Silent K wrote:Hi guys, I am just new to this forum but I have been using it as a "go to" for a lot of great info,so thanks for all of that. My bow is a 355 Matix. I have added the baby bumpers,trigger tech,leupold vendetta and custom string. I have just purchased the Air Brakes but haven't installed them yet. This morning I downloaded a sound level app and my bow is averaging 85db when I install the air brakes I will update. I don't expect any miraculous noise reduction but I am really hoping to reduce vibration to protect the vendetta (I have mine mounted out on the riser) I also installed an Hha optimizer but I am waiting for the extension to come because my rope cocker hits it. I will keep you guys informed.
K.
Which app was it? Was it for your smart phone?
Where did you place it?
Welcome aboard SilentK !!!
Matrix 405 Mega, Hawke XB30 SR Pro
trigger tech, Dr Stirrup ' Tac Pac
BEE 20" 429gr. NAP spitfires 100gr. Ignitors
BD400 XB30 SR PRO DR. Stirrup.
New 420TD Assassin
SEW

Post by SEW »

I put Air Brakes and about everything else on my M380 & 405. The combination of everything slowed the bows down some. A month ago or so, I took almost everything off and went for speed. After a few weeks of shooting the undampered bows I added everything back on the M380. I liked it's feel so much, the ABs, silencers, gentler string, etc went back on the M405. I'll stay with the Air Brakes, aftermarket, Flemish string, limb dampeners, TT, DrStirrup everything. Speed wasn't worth it.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

AB takes that snap away from the factory string on the micros..
of course a flem string helps also.when i shot both my micros inside i heard very little difference from one with or without..but outside i noticed the difference .

without the AB my micro felt not smooth and noisy on that factory string..
Silent K

Post by Silent K »

The sound level app I used is called "decibel 10" put it on my iPad , it holds at peak level so you can read it. I placed the iPad about 10 ft away from bow (right side) and got pretty consistent readings. I received the extension kit for mr optimizer so I'll be Back in business . I will post results of air brake testing in a few days (going away for weekend.)
Regards, K
Silent K

Post by Silent K »

OK I installed the Air brakes on my matrix 355 and placed iPad with the Decibel 10 app in the same place as last test. Shot 4 bolts @ 20 yards. Average peak level was 183 db. That is only a 2 db difference, but the tone is different. Definitely less vibration.The aluminum baseball bat sound is gone. Now its a nice satisfying thunk.
It feels nicer to shoot and what I was really looking for was less vibration to protect my Leopold Vendetta I think I have accomplished that.
After I shot another dozen or so bolts I noticed the foam rubber pad on the right side is starting to separate from the threaded plate.(factory defect?) has anyone else experienced this? Are they worth $60? I think $30 would be better. Im taking mine back to The Wolfs Den (where I bought them) but I will be putting them back on.

Regards, K
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've had that happen once. I just crazy glued it back on.
Silent K

Post by Silent K »

Sorry guys, that was 83 dbs not 183.
its a 355 not a 30 30
Regards, K
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

nice test.yes AB does take the TWANG or SNAP out.with factory string it was louder than the flemish string ...yes vibration it does help ..i feel very little difference in front weight of bow some said that bothered them...
Silent K

Post by Silent K »

Boo, you say you used crazy glue on yours? Is it holding up OK?
Regards, K