How do i find the grain weight of my hunting arrows?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sonnyboy

How do i find the grain weight of my hunting arrows?

Post by sonnyboy »

Hello, just bought a new matrix 380 an have not shot the darn thing yet. I am reading everything I can about the pefect arrow setup, an reading about the most used grain weight for the 380. They say (most of them in survey) that 400 gr is about the most perfect............????..............How do I find my gr weight of my arrows? weigh the broadhead, shaft, veins, nock,...everything together???..........sonny
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: How do i find the grain weight of my hunting arrows?

Post by Hunt it »

Correct, get yourself a small archery or reloading scale $30.00 weigh the whole arrow as you intend to shoot it.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

I'm using the stock arrows that came with my micro and I also have a Mission 360 crossbow and I'm using the stock bolts with that as well.
I sighted in my broadheads on both bows today and with both I get perfect field point Accuracy with X caliber 150 gr bolt cutters and NAP 125 grain spitfires.
No problem using the stock arrows here and I'm sure they will kill just as good as a custom arrow... The proof is in the accuracy.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
janesy

Post by janesy »

sonnyboy wrote:Hello, just bought a new matrix 380 an have not shot the darn thing yet. I am reading everything I can about the pefect arrow setup, an reading about the most used grain weight for the 380. They say (most of them in survey) that 400 gr is about the most perfect............????..............How do I find my gr weight of my arrows? weigh the broadhead, shaft, veins, nock,...everything together???..........sonny

A stock Diablo weighs a few grains over 250. Usually around 253. Add a 100, 125, 150 grain broad head and you are set. 400 give or take is a very nice weight. You do not NEED custom arrows. But they do shoot better and I find the stiffer arrows penetrate deeper on targets. Many a deer will fall to a stock arrow this fall
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
sonnyboy

Post by sonnyboy »

Thanks, let the games begin :mrgreen: SONNY
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

my powder scale from 50 years ago only goes to 350 grs..

so i weight arrow balanced on pan then weight the arrow points i use for hunting..like spitfire points they weight 103/106 grs not 100...then add lumenocks they weight 20 grs more than the flat plastic nocks ...

my 18 inch arrows weight around 423grs with lumenocks ..without around 401 grs with spitfire point..
mberg193

Post by mberg193 »

I'm getting ready to switch to the 125 grain Swackers with the stock 18; Diabolos out of my Mega 405 how should this shoot at a total of 375
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

You really shouldn't go much below 400 grains especially with Excalibur's most powerful bow. :shock: IMHO You won't have enough FOC for good accuracy.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr