Cornwall Area

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cornwall Area

Post by Guest »

Hiddy-Ho ON. Neighbors,

A few buddys of mine are heading over to the Cornwall area for a week of bow hunting (recurves) this weekend.
I think they're hunting NW of the city. There's been some really good reports from the outfitter as of late.
Anyone familiar with Cornwall area deer hunting??

I'd be going as well, but for the fact that I spotted a rather large bodied (200+) buck the other night sneaking his way thru a thicket on the back 140.

Thanks much.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el_caboing

Post by el_caboing »

I am near the Cornwall area and the deer population is great. The weather has been warm this week so I don't know how well they have been traveling but I know of many gangs that have gotten double digit numbers during the gun season of deer. It should only get better the closer to the rut I would imagine.

Steve
Allan

Post by Allan »

They are everywhere!

If possible hunt the cornfields in the late afternoons.
JR

Post by JR »

They should be in for a good week. The rut has started about 4 days ago, and the bucks are scrapping and rubbing everyting in sight. BTW carl, the local bar's big buck contest a few weeks ago was won by a 13 pt 282 lb.(dressed) deer. It was HUGE! I hope your friends are successful, maybe you could come up sometime and I'll show you around the back 160. -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hi Carl,

I'll let you know. I'll be in the area this Saturday morning for my first bow hunt of the season. Did a riffle hunt the other side of Renfrew Ontario last week for 8 days and saw lots of does and fawns but only 1 nice buck that came running out from behind me while I was on the ground. We scared the hell out of each other and by the time I got turned around he was gone. :lol: :lol:

Nick
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Lots of deer and the rut is in full swing. If it is the outfitter I am thinking about good luck!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
BOB VANDRISH

Cornwall Area

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Carl,what part of Vermont are you from?
When I lived in Cornwall,many moons ago,we built a cabin just east of Johnson Vermont that my brother still uses.
He owns a large farm north east of the city,and last year 16 guys,including me,shot 12 deer,with more than half of them over 195 dressed(that was shotguns)
This year,with half the number of hunters,they managed to get six,with two of them at 220 plus,and ten and twelve point.
I was down there for the start of bow season,without any luck,although I should have had an easy one,but that's how they survive!
I expect to be going back in Dec,for another try.
I would suggest that you try some of the county forest lands,just a few miles north of the 401,off of the Summerstown Station Road.
Most farmers are not fond of ANY hunters,so that may be your best bet.
Good luck.
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Fellas,

Just got off the phone with one of the guys (Tony) going to hunt your stomping grounds. He's trying to talk me into going, and I'm seriously thinking about it. It's only about a 3.5 hour drive from here.

The guide is just getting into it this year. His name is Greg Woodsman.
He got them a cabin, and has secured some farmland with stands to hunt on.

Tony mentioned Kemptville as the place they'll be hunting.

The guide said the last group of hunters went 9/9 with 6 deer going over 200# dressed!!

JR, What's the name of the bar with the big buck contest. I'm sure they'd love to stop in for a couple cold ones next week and oogle over the pics of big deer.

Bob V.,
I'm from the Fairfield area. About 45 mins or so from Johnson. Johnson has some good deer and is located at the base of part of the Green Mtn. Range. It's also the home to Johnson Woolen Mills (World famous for their red/black and green/black checkered hunting/work clothes).

http://www.johnsonwoolenmills.com/tradition/index.htm

Sounds like the Cornwall area is BIG Buck country!! 8)

Thanks again.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

The Dew Drop Inn In Bonville had a Big Buck contest for the shotgun Nov first to the sixth. They are also having a 50/50 contest the week of muzzleloader season, which is open to both archery and muzzleloading. The cost is 5 dollars to enter. If you are crossing at Cornwall you take highway 138 north to Highway 43 west to Kemptville this is at Monkland. The Dew drop Inn is halfway between Cornwall city limits, and Monland on the 138. At the flashing lights at Bonnville you will turn west 1/4 to half a mile on your left. They usally open at 11:00 and their Wings are great on Wednesdays.
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
buckmark

Post by buckmark »

Tons of deer around here, my gang got 12 during gun week alone. I haven't been out since but if what guys are saying that the rut is on they will be moving like crazy. Good luck.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me."

Post by Guest »

What Mighty Mooser said Carl. Right on the money.
Mighty Mooser and Buckmark, you guys go to the 3d indoor shoots during the winter?
-JR
JR

Post by JR »

That was me above,forgot to log in. -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
buckmark

Post by buckmark »

JR- I haven't in the passed but I might be interested depending on what dates etc.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me."

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys for the info and help. I passed it along to my buddy Tony.
The 4 guys will be in ON. by noon tomorrow. Vert hunters; 1 recurve and 3 compounds.
I've opted out this year, but told them if things go well, book for next year and include me.
This second weekend of rifle season will see me hunting Larry Benoits' old stomping grounds up on "The Big Jay". BIG Woods, BIG Deer.
I'm off to the mountains and deer camp for the next couple days.

Good luck all.