Custom Arrows or Have i been Shafted

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: Custom Arrows or Have i been Shafted

Post by xcaliber »

Pard, I hope that in the following year we have you making your own. I will personally commit time to help you with any questions you have. In my opinion, the thrill of taking game with the stuff your hands are in makes the reward so much sweeter. I don't mean any disrespect to those that buy their wares, time is money, and not everyone has time to do the things necessary to make their own arrows. I get that, respect that, and have been there. For me, it's not about the money saved, it's about being tuned in to the outcome, maybe a control issue, heck i don't know. I'm wired up in a strange way, and stopped questioing that a long time ago! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

xcaliber wrote:Pard, I hope that in the following year we have you making your own. I will personally commit time to help you with any questions you have. In my opinion, the thrill of taking game with the stuff your hands are in makes the reward so much sweeter. I don't mean any disrespect to those that buy their wares, time is money, and not everyone has time to do the things necessary to make their own arrows. I get that, respect that, and have been there. For me, it's not about the money saved, it's about being tuned in to the outcome, maybe a control issue, heck i don't know. I'm wired up in a strange way, and stopped questioing that a long time ago! :lol:
HAHAHA Well perhaps soon I may indeed make my own but a dozen arrows would last me years since we have only a 3 week archery season of which I will hunt a few days. I just want a dozen good arrows and I hope the ones I have fit the bill.
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well, I hope to help you make you r first & last dozen then brother. :lol:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I make my own because it's fun and nothing better than getting a deer or Bear with an arrow that I built myself...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Concerning spine indexing, I initially thought that with short, very stiff ( example: 18", zombies or STs), that spine indexing wasn't very critical as with longer arrows. It may not be for gentler launching xbows than my 380,400,405. My factory fletched STs which, of course, weren't spine indexed, don't compare to the same shafts, now spine indexed and helical Blazered. Even with these very stiff shafts there are significant stiff and weak sides. AND, with 260# and above, spine indexing makes quite a difference. I'd expect, as the launch force gets less, the benefits of spine indexing diminishes. But, the 380 and above , and the Micros, have a pretty harsh launch and spine indexing reduces group size.
From here on, I'll order either Zombies or double weave STs that are spine matched and indexed. Depending on cost, maybe even fletched. The arrows I've gotten from Boo, Big John and Jerry have all been class acts.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I will never index arrows as long as I live. I would rather throw that money at the lottery, there is a slight chance that I'll get something from it! :lol: :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Trying to predict where the arrow will flex is like predicting the weather. :lol: :lol: Been there, proven it worthless! :wink:
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

xcaliber wrote:I bumped up the original post Scarecrow.
Thank you!!
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
acreek

Post by acreek »

If you aren't inclined to do your own fletching then check out the work done by your local archery shop. If more people would support local archery businesses rather than shopping online we wouldn't have to drive three hours to check out bows and other good stuff or worse pay over a thousand dollars for some bow you never shot and did so hoping you could rely on Internet reviews and YouTube videos.

Now there is no doubt you'll run into a jackwipe behind the counter every now and then. But most small shop owners are down to earth, good people who want to, and will, help you out. And even if you are inclined to fletch your own arrows and bolts, see what the local shop would charge you for the raw shafts and such.

The more local shops we have out there the better off we will all be in the long run.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I agree, but unfortunately our local shop has completely abandoned the archery business, including the only local Mathews dealer within 40 miles. I have been servicing many folks for the last two years out of my garage, and although happy to do so, I'm really ill equipped. This is not to say that their level of service has diminished, but the corporate support is not there leaving several gaps in product supply that could & would benefit the brand. My service is exceptional in the eyes of the customer, but limited in terms of availability. I do want to open a full service archery shop, but I am 4-5 years away from that dream. I think that if you are fortunate enough to have a local shop, and their work is good, you really should support them. Disappearing group folks without support. :wink:
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

xcaliber wrote:Trying to predict where the arrow will flex is like predicting the weather. :lol: :lol: Been there, proven it worthless! :wink:
It must be getting close to hunting season because Dan is an arrow expert again. :roll: Trying to drum up some sales, is my bet.

The point SEW was making was that you probably don't shoot a bow that would show where spine indexing will make a difference. It certainly does make a difference at longer range and from a heavy draw bow - I have seen it first hand, unlike you who offers up as evidence a 50y test, from a lighter drawing bow.

For hunting purposes, and keeping shots under 50y, you won't see much difference from spine indexing arrows.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

So if spine indexing is not so critical ,to compensate for the lack of it , is that why with factory arrows you must turn the fletching to find out in essence which one will be the cock vane so each arrow will fly its truest flight?
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

No sales wanted, I'm only doing a small amount of them going forward for my self and a few friends.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...In all due respect gentlemen...I have found Dan to be 100% above board....all of my dealings with him have been me contacting him and not him contacting me to sell something....

...I think he made it clear of what his intentions were in that he is no longer doing this on a large scale....I am not siding with anyone but just stating the facts as they relate to me!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Dans the last person on here trying to sell something .The forum is about opinions and he voiced his experience right or wrong its his opinion. Im pretty sure he was refering to (normal" ) hunting distances not a hundred yards .maby he should have been more specific. I have given a bad answer a time or two but it was my best answer. Were not giving cancer or hiv diagnosis here its only crossbows.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.