Old vs New models

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GunsiteScout

Old vs New models

Post by GunsiteScout »

Do members still hang on and hunt with some of the more older discontinued models? My hunt group is about 6 guys and its about 50-50 from older EXO models to the Matrix Line. For some its sentimental reasons why they keep the older models. I shot X number of deer with it etc..For others they are in the "If it ain't broke don't try and fix it camp".
Anyone that shoots the new Matrix models really enjoys the compactness and speed. I'm in the Matrix camp. Some of the older models to me now seem bigger than the original cross. I don't know anyone that owns a Micro so I haven't shot one get. I think they might be a bit too small.
vixenmaster

Re: Old vs New models

Post by vixenmaster »

I have a 96 Vixen she is a nice deer killer. I have a few other Excals, n like the ones i do have

Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

Previous produced Excalibur xbows are vintage. Previous edition compound xbows are obsolete, and usually are not supported.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I love my vixen n metal rail ibex ...can you say no limb problems
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Those "vintage" Excalibur crossbows are what Excalibur built their 4x4 tough reputation on. They are tough, shoot up to 350 fps, are far easier to cock than some of the newer models , and shoot lights out. While they may not be the New and Improved version, they are Great bows. They are also a BARGAIN on the used market right now. Way more bang for your buck so to speak. It is really hard to go wrong on one of these older bows. just my dos centavos.

P.S. and as big and awkward as they look, they hunt fine. Most all of us here started with one and really had no complaints.
GunsiteScout

Post by GunsiteScout »

flightattendant100 wrote:Those "

P.S. and as big and awkward as they look, they hunt fine. Most all of us here started with one and really had no complaints.
I totally agree with you on that one. I do miss my Exomax that I sold to trade up to my 380. If I could have afforded it at the time I would have kept it. They only look big sitting next to some of the more compact models. Once you shoulder one the extra size disappears. I guess its like buying a Mustang or a Corvette..There are enough model changes over the years to suit everyone's taste and budget.

Vixenmaster, Very nice crossbow.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I don't miss my old wide limb model bows except maybe my old Ibex... :)

Now my current Micro should be with me for a while. It has a lot of good things going for it..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have a Y25 and a vixen that still get plenty of use. I do have to admit that my hopped-up 380 is what I carry most of the time. I never felt that the limb width was a burden to me. The 380 just delivers death with more gusto.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
crabclaw

Post by crabclaw »

I got an 09 I bex and recently bought a new Equinox.Happy Happy!
Equinox
Ibex
Big John custom bolts

slick tricks
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Excellent point SEW,, I loved the Exomax and Phoenix, today I have 2 380's and a 350 custom and like the Matrix even better,,, tried the Micro and decided the Matrix was the right models and size fer me. But make no mistake, if there was only one series of Excalibur available, no mater which one it was,, That's what I would have, but we are lucky and today we all can have our favorite,,,, for years to come.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I have an old Vortex and love it. Can't think of or afford an upgrade. But I'd save up for and would sure like one of those old brown Excaliburs. :D
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

There's a platform for three different needs: Exo for reliability, Matrix for speed, Micro for compact size. Getting all three benefits in one product is a tall order for any crossbow.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits