Ramcat flight problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Brokenscope

Ramcat flight problem

Post by Brokenscope »

I shot my old faithful 200lb exomag today with field points and it grouped great.l tried a ramcat and missed the whole 2x2 target. Im using 20 in zombie slayers with 2in vanes with 110gr inserts and 100gr heads.l did not line up the blade n fletching perfect. 2nd shot hit decent. 3rd shot hit 6in low and left. Any ideas it doesnt seem many have this problem with ramcats.
Boo

Re: Ramcat flight problem

Post by Boo »

Are you positive that all the blades were all the way back?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Boo wrote:Are you positive that all the blades were all the way back?
My first thought before even reading Boo's reply. I can almost guarantee you're blades are opening on the shot. Try banding your broadheads or setup a sheet of newspaper a foot in front of your target and I bet it shows open blades. You may also want to check your stirrup for any sign of nicking it with your broadheads. BTW, you don't need to orient your blades to your fletching, that's a complete myth.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Brokenscope

Post by Brokenscope »

Paul l shot the Ramcats open in a normal broadhead fashion. Are they supposed to be folded forward?
Brokenscope

Post by Brokenscope »

Yes the blades were all the way back. The blader were close to the riser.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I had to remove the wrapping I put on my stirrup (just in the center) when I used the RamCats with the stock stirrup. When you load an arrow be sure to check to see if it will clear the stirrup. I had to tighten a couple of mine a little to get the blades to rotate so that they wouldn't hit. You can also add a rubber O ring which helps with adjusting the blades so they don't hit.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
janesy

Post by janesy »

Spam fellas
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Brokenscope

Post by Brokenscope »

Spam fellas??? I dont think so. Been a member here long before most lts just that with a good crossbow l havent been onhere active in many years because l normally used expandables and havent had any problems

up til now. The blades are like an 1\8 in from touching inside the riser so the arrow may be flexing enough to make contact. I dont have wrapping on the stirrup but it appears clear.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Brokenscope wrote:Spam fellas??? I dont think so. Been a member here long before most lts just that with a good crossbow l havent been onhere active in many years because l normally used expandables and havent had any problems

up til now. The blades are like an 1\8 in from touching inside the riser so the arrow may be flexing enough to make contact. I dont have wrapping on the stirrup but it appears clear.
If your stirrup isn't wrapped you're probably fine. Close the blades and try again. I've only heard of excellent flight and great performance with Ramcats.
The forum automatically blocks certain key words and makes them say spam. Eg., I cook dinner in my spam (k*i*t*c*h*e*n)

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Brokenscope wrote:Spam fellas??? I dont think so. Been a member here long before most lts just that with a good crossbow l havent been onhere active in many years because l normally used expandables and havent had any problems

well my apologies if that's the case :) . With a join date of Wed Sept 21 2016 and the first post being as it was, it fits the MO of whom ever has been plaguing the site with spam for the past couple weeks.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

paulaboutform wrote:

If your stirrup isn't wrapped you're probably fine. Close the blades and try again. I've only heard of excellent flight and great performance with Ramcats.
The forum automatically blocks certain key words and makes them say spam. Eg., I cook dinner in my spam (k*i*t*c*h*e*n)

Paul
Thanks Paul, but that was actually me being an internet azzho. That what I get for replying half asleep. carry on...
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Just to be clear, Ramcat broadheads are not expandable heads.... You cannot close them up to shoot.. The blades should be in the swept back fully deployed position and locked into place with the tiny screw... Yes the blades can pivot but they are not interned to do so before they are shot.. The idea behind the pivot on them is to do more damage to the animal in case the head fails to pass through.

Ramcats are my broadhead of choice for the last three years and for me always fly to the same POI as my field points out of my ex Micro's both of my 380's and my Stryker Solution Ls... I do however align the blades to the fletching and make sure that the head is perfectly aligned to the ferrule and spins without any hint of a wobble.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

What Grassy knoll said but clearer..........

RAMCATS are not mechanical heads..................

Brokenscope,
I shoot them all the time too out of my Micro. Same POI as my field points. The clearance is very close on the stirrup. Do you have a spinner? Can you check that they spin true on your arrows. Still that would only explain the 2nd 2 shots. So to completely miss feels to me like a blade hit something.
The older bows have a black plastic looking spacer up by the D-bars. Sometimes that can extend and hit the arrow or fletching. All you need to do is trim it. I really doubt that bow could flex a ZS enough to cause a blade to hit the stirrup . Look carefully to see if you can find somewhere where the blade hits. Should be evidence if it hit the stirrup.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Brokenscope

Post by Brokenscope »

Thats fine Paul but l didnt remember my old password and wasnt sure about username from so long ago. Im not trying to bash ramcats but trying to get them to shoot. I have 6 of them and there not cheap. I noticed that plastic spacer so l will look for evidence of hitting. It shot way left so its probably hitting on the right side of the crossbow. Thanks for the input
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

RAMCATS are not mechanical heads..................

I got to think something weird is happening . I have shot these for over 2 years and all I do is align them with the fletching and they fly just like my field points. I'm even using the 125 replacement blades on the 100gr. head with no flight issues
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !