Stock quill+heavy points= instant accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Odindad

Stock quill+heavy points= instant accuracy

Post by Odindad »

I just started shooting my 350 le and was somewhat disappointed with accuracy compared to my previous Exocet 200. I was using stock diablos , quills and fire bolts all with 150 gr. Field tips. I was averaging about 4-6" groups at 50 yds. Firebolts grouping best. Not what I was expecting. Checked and loctited all screws. Then I decided to try some 300 grain points from my trad arrows. Now I am getting 1.5 - 2" groups at 60 yds. I guess this is no different than using a real heavy insert and normal weight point. If anyone is having trouble grouping with stock Excalibur arrows I would recommend trying some super heavy points. Has anyone tried 2"-3" feathers on their arrows? I know I always got better flight with them on verticle bows.
longbow joe

Re: Stock quill+heavy points= instant accuracy

Post by longbow joe »

Its basically what we do with our brass inserts (110 grain brass +125 grain point) the 300 grain seems a little extreme if you were to knock 50 grains off im sure they would still fly great and you would gain a little less drop. .If your happy with it thats all that matters.I shoot the 110 brass and and 125 grain point out of my 355 they fly really well the 125 grain tips fly better than the 100s in the wind.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.