Slick Trick Rip Trick Review and Field Test

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MTBighorn

Slick Trick Rip Trick Review and Field Test

Post by MTBighorn »

I live in Montana and like to shoot at Everything!. I have no tree stands or blinds. So I travel lots of miles with my bow in search of things to shoot. And to add to the challenge,...as if crossbow hunting wasn't challenging enough, my state classifies my bow as a rifle :roll:

I like my roving points to hit the same POI as my hunting set up so I am able to mix the 2 as targets of opportunity present themselves.

So this is my review and test of the new RipTrick game head by Slick Trick.

My bow setup:
Matrix 380
"Vixenmaster" string (His strings are AWSOME!!)
18" .001 Zombies (I can't decide if they are better than .003 BEE's)
92gr brass inserts
2" Blazer fletched w/ AZ Bolt tool (Factory fletching just won't stablize the broadhead like the "Bolt")
100gr Slick Trick Standards (compared to 100gr. Rip-Tricks for this test)
Factory TactZone scope.(for crossbow range the scope works great!)
Ignitor lighted nocks...For the price I think these are our best bang for the buck! And they are easy to install and use.

Distance 100 yards

My target. 100 yards. Block of firewood is Lodge Pole pine that's been curing for 2 years. The paper black bull is 5.5"

My bow scope adjusted to perfect zoom point to allow for a 100 yard hit with my arrow/point combo when using the 60yard referance. I just added a little scratch with my pocket knife. When the speed(zoom) dial is at 345fps I am dead on from 20-60yards. The 60yard chevron is dead on at 100yrds using the mark shown here.

Wind was at 8+/- mph, gusting to 12mph, almost straight at shooter

Shot my first arrow with a Standard 100gr. SlickTrick Broadhead (green nock) then followed with the new 100gr. RipTrick...Holy smokes!! I actually hit the Ignitor nock and tore off a fletch with the RipTrick at 100 yards!! Put a pretty nasty groove in the Ignitor but didn't ruin it, or the Zombie! :mrgreen:

Now let's trash an arrow :lol: Fired the Rip Trick into the block of Lodge Pole firewood and the SlickTrick into the paper (yes had to change Zombies because of the damaged fletch on the original Slick Trick broadhead arrow) This is still at 100 yards...

Dug out the RipTrick from the firewood by splitting the block with an ax...NO damage as far as I can tell. Before the camera came out I had fired this same RT into a 2x8 leaning against my target...Neither the firewood or the 2x8 hurt the point. But the point sure buried itself...no way to easily remove it from a tree in the field as far as I can see.

Then I finished by firing the "wood-block RipTrick arrow" into the paper to see if it would still fly true... Still in the Black at a 100 yards!! :lol:

Well guys, I hope this is useful to some of you!! And I can say that the Slick Trick is a great broadhead!! And paired with the New Rip Trick, you will have a great combo to play and hunt in the same "outing"...

Getting ready! Did 8 miles yesterday. Saw 3 deer, 1 coyote at 112yards (screwed it up :roll: ) and killed a nice grouse for dinner (yeah I lost the grouse arrow) :wink:

God Bless!!
Wes
Last edited by MTBighorn on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulaboutform

Re: Slick Trick Rip Trick Review and Field Test

Post by paulaboutform »

Awesome review Wes. Great shooting. Thanks. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

that is some good shooting i know some guys with guns that dont shoot that good :lol:
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great shooting
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Excellent Review.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Thanks for taking the time to show us your results! May have to find me some of those!
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

very nice review will have to try these got some small critters that should meet this head
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Thank you everyone!!!! I really enjoyed doing this test.

Last night I put my big green varmint hunting light on my bow and my gopro camera and went out at about 10pm.

I introduced the ST Rip Trick to a broadside skunk. Guessed him at 25-30 yards and leveled the crosshairs.
At the shot the Ignitor just blew past him about 20 yards and stopped....the skunk was stone dead and never moved!! :lol:

Not sure where it hit him because his chemical warfare quickly surpassed my curiosity :mrgreen:

The point worked flawless and was still fairly clean, undamaged, and easily found, thanks to the Ignitor Nock!!