Hair loss

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

buckmark

Hair loss

Post by buckmark »

My brother in-law shot a little 7 pointer this morning, after dragging it out (about 200 yards) he notice that a patch of hair was missing from were it was dragged on the ground. From both hips you can pull handfulls of hair out, the rest of the body seems to be alright just the hips. I have never seen this before and just wondering if anyone had any ideas. Thanks in advance.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me."
peter p

Post by peter p »

It happens all the time after a long drag especially if you are dragging it from the antlers but it should only come off from the hip that was dragging on the ground.
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I had the same thing happen a few years back. It also happend with a smaller buck. To be sure I phone the MNR and spoke with the local biologist. He indicated that this is quite comman with younger bucks later in the fall. He said that they will actually begin rutting activity in Sept and carry through right into December and even January. During this time they spend very little time feeding. The hair loss is a symptom of malnutrition. He went on to say that there is absolutley no problem with eating the the venison from the deer.