Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mcheney

Justifications Needed!

Post by mcheney »

Hello,
I currently own a Equinox and a M355.
Both are awesome.
Getting older and having a 10 year old I am thinking about getting a more gentile xbow which would be good for the kid as he gets a bit older and it would be easier on me should I find the others getting hard to cock.
I am 5'8" and 51 yrs old.
My boy is gonna be bigger and stronger than I.
I have been looking at a Phoenix, Ibex, Vortex or Grizly.
These bows because the expense is more manageable than say a M310 which I think might also perfectly fit the bill.
Mainly this will be for whitetail out to 30 yds. both tree and blind shooting but mainly tree.
Do I need this bow? No.
Do I want another one? Yes.
Any help choosing and justifying the expense for a new toy would be greatly appreciated.
I was thinking about getting the Grizly and dressing it up over time with cheek, REDS and such to have a "M305".
The Ibex is less expensive, sexy and easy on the draw but larger.
The Vortex might be too close to the M355 I already have and top price of the four.
The Phoenix is a more expensive Ibex and perhaps offers nothing more than an Axiom, which I had and loved, but sold to my nephew to make way for the M355.
The most expensive option is to get a fully dressed Equinox, (has all the bells and whistles including full camo, cheek piece, suppressors, breaks and a shadow zone scope ), and cut her down to a mid Ibex-Vortex.
At the end of the day she would price out about the same as fully dressing any of the others but requires more up front money and will always be wider than the Grizly-Matrix options.
Oh God! Its like being in a whirlwind. :shock:
Equinox..shadow-zone
Vortex..veri-zone
Matrix 355 (Stinger)..tact-zone
Matrix 350SE..dead-zone
…ya, I know.
foofoo

Re: Justifications Needed!

Post by foofoo »

you could always send the Equinox rail to Danny Miller to get it shortened to Ibex size. then you save some cash and have a custom crossbow. :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Buy get one of the Matrix 330 or 3SE or LE models they be sellin at great prices $530-$550 free shippin. I bought the SE model n its very easy fer an old fat crippled man to rope cock
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

out to 30 yards the M310 is very hard to beat for us seasoned folks.
I am still able to cock the 330 without any problems but the 310 is easier on this small framed seasoned body.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Having 3 models that are on the " high side " draw weight wise, the Grizzly and its low physical draw weight, physical weight, as well as price, have me looking closely at one as a daily shooter. :D :!:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'm sorry I just looked and saw this was a duplicate post.

Gene :oops:
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

From personal experience, I would buy a used Vixen or Ibex for a ten year old. Both are pretty much bomb and dryfire proof. Add an adf and Bob's your uncle. He can always trade up (and he will) when he gets older. What ever you get him will make you the best dad ever in his eyes. :D Happy shootin,
Hank
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Just try this on for size . shorten up your rope cocker and you will see how easy it will be . I am 74 and 5' 6" and have no problem with a 380 or my 355. that is with DR. Stirup set up. just try it you might be surprise.
W.M.
mcheney

Post by mcheney »

foofoo wrote:you could always send the Equinox rail to Danny Miller to get it shortened to Ibex size. then you save some cash and have a custom crossbow. :lol:
Thats a great idea but I think I would cry at the loss of my full sized Equinox.
Equinox..shadow-zone
Vortex..veri-zone
Matrix 350SE..dead-zone
…ya, I know.
mcheney

Post by mcheney »

W.Miguire wrote:Just try this on for size . shorten up your rope cocker and you will see how easy it will be . I am 74 and 5' 6" and have no problem with a 380 or my 355. that is with DR. Stirup set up. just try it you might be surprise.
W.M.
Thanks!
I'll give this a shot with the EQ.
Equinox..shadow-zone
Vortex..veri-zone
Matrix 350SE..dead-zone
…ya, I know.
mcheney

Post by mcheney »

vixenmaster wrote:Buy get one of the Matrix 330 or 3SE or LE models they be sellin at great prices $530-$550 free shippin. I bought the SE model n its very easy fer an old fat crippled man to rope cock
Is the 3SE basically the same as the 355 just with full camo?
Equinox..shadow-zone
Vortex..veri-zone
Matrix 350SE..dead-zone
…ya, I know.
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

I love my Grizzly I have shot 3D out to 78yds accurately with it.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Having 3 models that are on the " high side " draw weight wise, the Grizzly and its low physical draw weight, physical weight, as well as price, have me looking closely at one as a daily shooter. :D :!:

Gene

....grom what I saw with ThackMan at a recent 3D shoot...the Grizzly is, in no way, a slouch...It was shooting bullets from it's operator out to 70 yds...very impressed!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
mcheney

Post by mcheney »

ThackMan wrote:I love my Grizzly I have shot 3D out to 78yds accurately with it.

My brother bought one last year and got out with it this season.
He has not hunted in about 20 years but in one night had me dragging out a spike and a doe. Can't complain about that when your a meat hunter. :D

Boy, he loves his Grizzly!
Equinox..shadow-zone
Vortex..veri-zone
Matrix 350SE..dead-zone
…ya, I know.
mcheney

Post by mcheney »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Having 3 models that are on the " high side " draw weight wise, the Grizzly and its low physical draw weight, physical weight, as well as price, have me looking closely at one as a daily shooter. :D :!:

Gene
Thats kind of what I thunk! If you play your cards right you can get one for under 400 bones with the lite stuff package. Thats real tempting even through the aluminum rails just have more emotional appeal.
I talked with a plastics guy and he told me that in many ways the polymers are better than steel. When you think about it, the limbs are fiberglass and the stock is polymer so why not the rail?
Equinox..shadow-zone
Vortex..veri-zone
Matrix 350SE..dead-zone
…ya, I know.