Fall Ontario turkey hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

Fall Ontario turkey hunting

Post by Carnivorous »

Now that we only have one deer seal in Ontario for bow and black powder combined. I will pass the time fall Turkey hunting with my Micro. I am just going to sit in my ladder stand and wait for one to come by. I am sure I will see more deer than turkeys as usual.. lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
galamb

Re: Fall Ontario turkey hunting

Post by galamb »

Yes, wait until next year.

The "proposed change" (which is government speak for "done deal") will have a "bow only" fall turkey hunt that opens on the 1st of October (and continue until Oct 31st) to coincide with the early bow (deer) season.

There is no mention of what would happen to the fall shotgun hunt.

But having a combo-hunt from the bow stand starting in October is a positive thing in my opinion :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
janesy

Post by janesy »

galamb wrote:Yes, wait until next year.

The "proposed change" (which is government speak for "done deal") will have a "bow only" fall turkey hunt that opens on the 1st of October (and continue until Oct 31st) to coincide with the early bow (deer) season.

There is no mention of what would happen to the fall shotgun hunt.

But having a combo-hunt from the bow stand starting in October is a positive thing in my opinion :)
That would be great, I always thought, but understand why they did, make the season after thanks giving. Would be cool to arrow a bird for the thanks giving dinner a couple days later.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
galamb

Post by galamb »

They are still taking submission on the proposal until early November (like they did with the moose changes - but not a single thing from the proposal for moose was changed as a result of submissions).

And again, they still haven't addressed the fall shotgun hunt.

Here is the synopsis of the proposal (believe it was OFAH that put it together):

September 29, 2016
Province looking to add bows-only fall season; standardize spring open date among other changes for 2017

PETERBOROUGH – Turkey hunting in Ontario may look a little different in 2017 as the provincial government has proposed some significant management changes.

The proposal, which would come into effect next year, is currently up for comment on the Environmental Registry and includes the elimination of the separate wild turkey hunter education course, new seasons in two Wildlife Management Units, a bows-only season in the fall and standardization of spring season opening dates.

New seasons would open in WMU 36 (spring) and WMU 94 (fall), while a bows-only season would run Oct. 1-31 in all WMUs that have a fall wild turkey hunt.

“Being able to harvest a turkey ahead of Thanksgiving is a great way to bring together family and celebrate our hunting heritage in Ontario,” Sucee adds.

Other proposed changes include the merging of the wild turkey hunter education course into the curriculum for the Ontario Hunter Education Program (OHEP). Adding wild turkey content to the OHEP course eliminates the need for a separate wild turkey course, though many questions remain regarding exactly how this will be implemented.

The MNRF is also proposing to make April 25 the universal opening day of the spring season, regardless of which day of the week it falls on and giving consideration to allowing shot size number 7 for wild turkey – in addition to 4, 5 and 6. The will also clarify minimum bow requirements for hunting wild turkey in the hunting regulations.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Would be nice if we could use a unfilled tag from the spring for the fall hunt in the same calendar year?
The best things in life are not things!!
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

Excellent,as a die hard turkey hunter.This is great to read.I hope it actually becomes reality....L.C.B.H
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave: