New guy with questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

airborne

New guy with questions

Post by airborne »

I've had a Phoenix for a number of years but didn't hunt with it much until this season and harvested a small 6 point buck and a turkey! I have been very happy with the Phoenix and have not any issue whatsoever with it. I used the standard 20" firebolt and 150 grain boltcutters. With 4 grandkids, (I'm 67 years old), I needed more than one crossbow so, I layed away a Matrix 330 after holding, shooting and cocking it to make sure I could handle it. I like the fact that the limbs are shorter by about 6" and that it can uncocked by hand, rather than shooting into a block. It seems like a very nice setup. I would like to try the x-act mechanical with this bow assuming the forum members believe this bow will provide sufficient penetration if the shot is well placed? That said, I haven't seen or heard of a practice head, so, can the head be used repeatedly for practice as long as there is no damage to blades etc? Can the broadhead be successfully pulled from target and the blades retracted again, so that another practice shot can be taken? I hope I'm making myself clear, as I reread this post it seems I may be rambling (must be age). Anyhow, thanks for any replies, and I will continue to read older posts in order to gain more insight. Thank you.

Bill
hankenhunter

Re: New guy with questions

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome to the forum Bill! You can turn any mech head into a practice head by gluing the blades shut with any strong epoxy glue. A few grains of glue wont make any difference to your point of impact. Happy shootin,
Hank
airborne

Post by airborne »

Hank,
Thanks for the reply! That is a great suggestion to epoxy the blades closed, then you could switch the epoxied broadhead to other arrows to see how they fly. What is your opinion of the x-act and Matrix 330 combo?

Bill
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D
The X act will work fine out of your 330...put them on and go kill something 8)
We like pics!! :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

A couple of wraps of electrical tape will last several shots, believe it or not.
hunt2sleep

Post by hunt2sleep »

The X-Act broadhead is made for Excalibur by Innerloc and they sell practice blades for it on their website. Here is the link: http://innerloc.com/secure/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=71
Phoenix
Matrix 380 Xtra
Exomax
Matrix G340
Klingons do not hunt because they need food. The hunt is a ritual that reminds us of where we come from. - Lieutenant Worf
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

hunt2sleep wrote:The X-Act broadhead is made for Excalibur by Innerloc and they sell practice blades for it on their website. Here is the link: http://innerloc.com/secure/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=71
If you go this route, I would advise you to weigh it. The Exact should work well on your bow. Just keep in mind that like anything mechanical, they could fail. They can be tested by placing a sheet of paper a few inches in front of your target. If they open prematurely, the paper will show it. I'm kinda biased towards fixed blades and the Boltcutter has served me well also.
Hank