Locking your climber

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Re: Locking your climber

Post by sproulman »

xcaliber wrote:The Climber is for packing in & out, do some sit ups, and chin ups old man! :lol: :lol: I carry mine, and the SOB that wants to steal it will get a face full of fist followed by some Winchester 9MM. 8) If it can walk, it will ! :wink:
its really not carrying in shape thing ..You do get sweated up and our laural is jungle its not like walking on path ..our hunting is THICK and carrying stand you will make lots of noise....
then in dark it takes time to put it on tree etc noisy etc if not careful .then i carry in lot of things clothes/food /bow or gun its HEAVY .....

i may go to ladderstand in gun season because of this but i need climber in archery so i can move....

getting sweaty at 10 degrees is no fun sitting all day in cold or dressing lightly now and still sweaty from carrying the climber/bow and other items ..

noise going in dark is biggest drawback to climber in MY area our brush is 8 ft high with no trails so you can see whay i would like to leave climber but you just cannot unless you are coming out next day BUT with snow on ground they will sleal it at night they follow your tracks in after dark if they see you going with Summit climber.also never use tree tacks they will steal after dark..
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I'm just messing with you. I dress very light when packing in, then put the warm gear on after the stand is on the tree. Getting all sweaty is bad news.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Don't buy $400 climbers..
I have 4 climbers that I've bought off CL over the years at around $50 each. I lock them with Cable and padlock together on tree and leave them..BUT I also help them decide not to want it by taking the seat. Or ones w/o removable seat I take the cables/bands/chains and hide them somewhere I can get them easily on my way in. I mark the holes I need with tape or crayon I can see in dark so I can set back up easily.

This eliminates the "want" as a seat or cable set make it useless without buying a replacement at $50 and the stand itself isn't worth that.

The ONLY exception to this is IF someone is trying to deter/prevent/oust you from hunting there, and then you have a much bigger issue than a simple thief.

FWIW. My favorite treestands are the OL Man stands, I take off the net seat they come with and have one of their "quick connect seats" that I keep in my backpack.
The Summit stands all have removable seats, but are bulky so I buy the Sling seat they offer for the Elite, It has one buckle and sets up in seconds.

Having the ability to take the seat also ensures I have a dry one when I get there as well..
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1