Is it worth gettin them cut down?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VTbowman

Is it worth gettin them cut down?

Post by VTbowman »

I have a new micro 335 n yet to of shot it! My bolts are enroute still. I ordered 18" zombie .300/.001 and according to the website total bolt weight comes in at smidge over 250g. Add a 100g broadhead and its over the min. Prob use a 125g though.
Is it worth getting these cut down to 16.5" like a factory supplied Quill and add the 110g brass inserts to get back over min weight or does 1.5" less not really matter for flight or spine shiffness, etc. ???
Or will 18" stick out past limbs to far? Again dont have one in hand to see for myself. If cutting them down is worth it then I can either order them that way or get longer n cut em down.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
racking up points

Re: Is it worth gettin them cut down?

Post by racking up points »

The shorter arrow will fly just fine but if I'm reading you right, you'd be using a 375gn bolt @ 18"? So you'd be lighter than that @ 16" and IMO that is too light, so go with the heavy brass insert and a 100gn or 125gn BH to get the weight up to somewhere around 400gn.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I am least expert here BUT i like 16.5 inch arrow with 1 and 3/4 inch spitfire in my 2 micro 335 ..it puts point at edge of stirrup .my weight is 412 grs with lumenocks ...i do not like long arrow like 18 inch sticking out .at 30 yards my 16.5 inch arrows shoot great..

16.5 inch arrow
110 gr insert
lumenocks
106 gr spitfires they do not weight 100 grs..

total weight 412 grs.....

Post by newbie »

depends if you dont kind the arrow sticking a few plus inches beyond the stirrup.
I always make mine to sit at the end or just behing it.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I would cut them and install 110gr inserts. You will have no regrets..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....all of the above plus....why not try and see what combination works best for your shooting style, BH, distance etc....just my non-expert 2 cents!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
VTbowman

Post by VTbowman »

We in truth Ive always liked my reg arrows as short as possible without going under minimum suggested total arrow weight/tip.
Although Ive yet to place a bolt on my xbow yet Im very certain I do not want a broadhead sticking past the stirrup at all. I love the micro for its very compact design.
I have yet to settle on a broadhead yet. I have an entire year before I am legal to hunt with it. Hense all the questions on stuff that I will eventually figure out gor myself.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001