In pursuit of quiet...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VTbowman

In pursuit of quiet...

Post by VTbowman »

I have noticed not a lot here like or use limbsaver products on their xbows. Why is that? They were quite effective on reg compound bows.
I am interested in what others do and/or use to quiet their rigs down with. I realize they are fairly fast n no real way to totally eliminate noise completely. So using a heavier/thicker flemish string, heavier bolts and air brakes do quite a bit. Drstirrup stuff too but im not sold on the bulkiness of it yet.
What else? Pics please.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
Riflemanz

Re: In pursuit of quiet...

Post by Riflemanz »

Most of us don't worry about noise or vibration.
We just shoot!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Earplugs work the best!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
JerseyJeff

Post by JerseyJeff »

Mine has been very quiet so far this season...too quiet. :(
Matrix 355
Axiom
NRA
UBNJ
DU
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I like the sound of my bow going off. Deer not so much...lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

JerseyJeff wrote:Mine has been very quiet so far this season...too quiet. :(

.....X2 ....I've been begging mine to make some noise and so far it has only been the doldrums of "cock and de-cock!"

.....and honestly, I have never had the need to feel concerned about the noise my Excalibur makes....Heck, coming from an Italian Family, our normal talking is like most families yelling :shock: :lol:

Anthony :cry:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
VTbowman

Post by VTbowman »

I suppose I can figure out what, if anything at all, i need after I shoot the dang thing. Hate waiting on orders that never seem to get here quick enough. Lol
Still enroute is my flemish string and my 110g inserts. Then off to archery shop to get my zombies cut down and chrono-ed.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

flemish string helps.Air brakes help .heavier arrow helps..wrap stirrup helps.
JerseyJeff

Post by JerseyJeff »

A pair of Excalibur string suppressors, or Danny Miller's bumpers are a quick, easy and relatively inexpensive way to deaden some of the vibration. So far, that's all I've done to my 355, "Mr. Scary".

Jeff
Matrix 355
Axiom
NRA
UBNJ
DU
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Don't worry about the noise, by the time the deer hear it,the arrow has is already passed through them !!!!!!!!

Dave :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

700 grn arrow will solve all you noise concerns and if your shots are 40 and under no big deal on trajectory either.
SEW

Post by SEW »

sproulman wrote:flemish string helps.Air brakes help .heavier arrow helps..wrap stirrup helps.
All true. Read all of Boo's website. (Boo strings).
The DrStirrup Kit helps immensely:in lots of ways, including noise.
Double sharing wrapping the arrow hold down spring and bending it so it won't slap the riser, may help more than anything else.
acreek

Post by acreek »

From what I've read, the Sims LimbSaver stuff eventually falls off the bow. I have read that happening for both the mushroom shaped limbsavers placed on the limbs and the stick on strips placed either on the stirrup or the rail.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I do not want to put anything on my bow that will cost me speed and energy with absolutely zero gain. As you said in your original post...you can't really quite these things down like a very bow, so my opinion is to not waste energy or speed. A heavier arrow combo quiets a crossbow down a lot......AND you gain arrow momentum which helps with penetration. IMO a Flemish string of the same weight as an endless loop will also quite the shot some by absorbing more shock and won't cost you speed, and they look cooler. Wrapping the stirrup may quiet it some (personally I think it just changes the frequency of the noise and does not eliminate it) and it won't cost you speed. Just be careful that the wrap will not interfere with a broad head passing over the stirrup. I shoot RamCat broad heads and could not wrap my stirrup with anything and still have it clear. Bending the arrow retainer so it doesn't hit the rail as hard won't cost you anything either. Just make sure there is adequate pressure on the arrow to keep it on the rail until properly launched. Other than that anything else hanging on the limbs etc. is just wasting energy that IMO is better served being put into the arrow.

Welcome to the Excal family!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

When I see a question posted like yours, I can't resist offering the smart a$$ suggestion that you need to use foam.

If the sound of your bow bothers you, put the foam in your ears. Then you wouldn't be bothered by the sound. If you don't want the sound of your bow to bother the deer, stick some foam in its ears. Then it won't be bothered by the sound of your bow, either.

Otherwise, it's pretty much a futile effort. The deer will hear your bow. You cannot make your bow so quiet that a deer won't hear it. As a matter of fact, they probably will even hear the sound of the arrow as it travels toward them.

I suggest that you think about bow silencing this way. Think of it as you would about farting in church. Is a tiny one, one that everyone nevertheless hears, that much less embarrassing than one that rattles the windows?

If it pleases you to reduce the sound of your bow, go for it. There will likely be a very slight speed reduction of your arrow. The accessories that will reduce sound will probably cost a minor amount. However, if you think the cost in dollars and arrow speed is worth it, go for it.

It likely won't affect your hunting performance either way, but if it pleases you, go for it.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.