In pursuit of quiet...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Re: In pursuit of quiet...

Post by sproulman »

Air Brakes you can notice makes bow nicer to shoot and does reduce sound some .
i can notice difference in feel of bow with AirBrakes on i have 2 micro 335 one without brakes on ..it just feels different shooting one with Air Brakes on...
SEW

Post by SEW »

I've owned a M380 for 4 seasons and M405 for 3. No problems and a lot of shooting. Thousands of shots. ABs on M405 the entire time and most of time on 380. Yes, Air Brakes make a positive difference, feel wise. But, I've noticed a slight velocity reduction. However, no limb problems ever! My M380 & BD400 will likely not have ABs though the M405 will keep them.
To me, the limb mounting of the BD400 makes it more gentle than the traditional Matrix mounting.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Put a Dacron string on it. You'll lose 10 fps with the same weight arrow, but it would be a lot quieter with less speed loss than going up in arrow weight enough to make a noticeable difference.
IF you are not willing to sacrifice speed at all, then the string stop/airbrake/stirrup route might be your best bet although I doubt will get the same return that the Dacron string will net you..

I personally have 2 identical Excals, one with Dacron and no add on's, The other has FFF, Limbsavers, Dissipator Pads, and wrapped stirrup. The Dacron string bow is still noticeably quieter. In fact it's on par with my compound.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

tomcat wrote:Put a Dacron string on it. You'll lose 10 fps with the same weight arrow, but it would be a lot quieter with less speed loss than going up in arrow weight enough to make a noticeable difference.
IF you are not willing to sacrifice speed at all, then the string stop/airbrake/stirrup route might be your best bet although I doubt will get the same return that the Dacron string will net you..

I personally have 2 identical Excals, one with Dacron and no add on's, The other has FFF, Limbsavers, Dissipator Pads, and wrapped stirrup. The Dacron string bow is still noticeably quieter. In fact it's on par with my compound.
I would not recommend a Dacron string for a Micro or a Matrix. There is a reason Excal does not ship them with that type of string like they did with the older bows.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

The reason the old versions were shipped with Dacron(Excel String) was because they didn't come with a Dry Fire Inhibitor(DFI) like the new ones do(aka Guardian).
The Dacron string was an effective means of protection when dry-fired thst I personally know of countless occasions where the bow laughed it off without any damage because of that very string. Myself a few times as well. Switching to a Fast Flite or other material string with less strands/same strength meant a lighter string and netted you anywhere from 10-15fps speed gain at the expense of additional noise. Although Excalibur offered it's version of a High Performance string, this is what started the aftermarket string enterprise that now exists here on this forum.
Dacron will work fine, but it needs more strands to get the equivalent tensile strength(usually just a few). IME, Dacron is the forgotten option because of the obsession for speed.

Ask some of the knowledgeable string builders on here if they could build you one, and I'm confident that when you shoot it, you will be amazed at the difference.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

tomcat wrote:The reason the old versions were shipped with Dacron(Excel String) was because they didn't come with a Dry Fire Inhibitor(DFI) like the new ones do(aka Guardian).
The Dacron string was an effective means of protection when dry-fired thst I personally know of countless occasions where the bow laughed it off without any damage because of that very string. Myself a few times as well. Switching to a Fast Flite or other material string with less strands/same strength meant a lighter string and netted you anywhere from 10-15fps speed gain at the expense of additional noise. Although Excalibur offered it's version of a High Performance string, this is what started the aftermarket string enterprise that now exists here on this forum.
Dacron will work fine, but it needs more strands to get the equivalent tensile strength(usually just a few). IME, Dacron is the forgotten option because of the obsession for speed.

Ask some of the knowledgeable string builders on here if they could build you one, and I'm confident that when you shoot it, you will be amazed at the difference.
I could certainly build one...but I will not. And you are putting out a bunch of incorrect information. Check the strand counts and weights of the older string you mention. You may be surprised. The speed increase is directly related to the type of material used and it's strength and elasticity (or lack thereof). It has nothing to do with the weight of the string. Dacron has a tensile strength that is about 50% of D97. Even if it did not break, it would stretch like crazy on a Micro/Matrix bow. My personal opinion is that a Dacron string on my Micro would break on the shot eventually. Not a total fail, but strands would start to go. Why do I say that? Because I have seen that on Dacron strings on my stretching jigs before when I went too far. And not right when I cranked them down. They failed later just sitting under tension. Maybe I should have added "just a few" more strands. :roll:

But why would you advocate putting a low performance string on a bow like this? You gain absolutely nothing..........zero. My vortex bows that have Dacron or D97 strings sound the same. Loud. So why slow them down to have them be loud. If you want to slow it down use a heavy arrow. That will quiet the bow some...but it will still be loud....but at least then you will gain arrow momentum which will help penetration.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
VTbowman

Post by VTbowman »

Well I am strange in the fact that the smart Azz reply makes perfect sense to me. If it cant be 100% quiet then why bother. Lol
I like it as quiet as possible and never cared for high vibrations while shooting it just at targets. However like another posted, I too do not want anything to effect performance or speed in spite of noise.
Ive got air brakes n a flemish string. Plan to shoot 400+ grain bolts. So it will be what it will be.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Good choice and you will love it. Getting over the noise is just part of the transition from vert bows. But trust me the deer won't care about the noise. :D
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><