excaliber flemish string wear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

littlekitch

excaliber flemish string wear

Post by littlekitch »

I'm well into my whitetail season and my Flemish string on my phoenix is wore bad with deep grooves in the serving through to the string.it was getting wore in the spring during turkey season but I waxed it and tried to get the rest of the year out of it so I didn't have to shoot in a new string(20 to 30 times).this string is 2 seasons old and I practice shoot 50 to 60 shots per season.I use the string relief to unload the bow when I can't shoot practice arrow into target after hunting.could this cause the added wear on my serving?this is my third Flemish string due to serving wear. KITCH
Riflemanz

Re: excaliber flemish string wear

Post by Riflemanz »

If its 2yrs old I'd replace it. You can always reserve the string or have one of our string guys do it. Cabelas charges $5 to do it. Just buy some more strings on the trading post on this site from our great string makers! :D
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
galamb

Post by galamb »

You may want to polish the little (hooks) on the trigger mechanism that hold the string when cocked.

You are only shooting a Phoenix (175lb draw) and doesn't sound like you are shooting "a lot".

I shoot a Vixen II (150 lb draw) and I just replaced my 5 year old "factory" Flemish string last year. It had "thousands" of shots on it, I easily fire it 2000 times a year (have my own range, plus hunt it). When hunting I always "unload" my string using the cocking aid.

While there was "some" signs of wear on the serving I only replaced it because I picked up a couple custom strings in really cool colours - so my 5 year old string is my "pack spare" that I carry with me just in case (it's pre-stretched after all and would be an easy swap in the field).

So while it wouldn't hurt to replace your string every couple of years (or at signs of wear), it sounds like the hooks on your trigger release are causing "pre-mature" wear of your string - I am being honest when I say my factory flemish must have had close to 10,000 shots on it and it was still functional. I can't see the extra 25 pounds of draw weight on your bow reducing the life to a few hundred shot/releases - maybe on the bows packing 280 lbs of draw, but not yours...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Boo

Post by Boo »

It would really help if you posted a close up picture of the wear on the serving while the string is on the bow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

I'm not tech savy enough to post a picture. KITCH
Boo

Post by Boo »

Are you capable of emailing it to me?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

littlekitch wrote:.......................I use the string relief to unload the bow when I can't shoot practice arrow into target after hunting.could this cause the added wear on my serving?........ KITCH

When you say "string relief", what exactly do you mean? Are you dropping the string down onto the ADF
(anti dry fire)?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

I'm referring to the loading assist string with the hooks and tee handles.KITCH