Matrix Bulldog Rail Burr

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spoterces

Matrix Bulldog Rail Burr

Post by spoterces »

Hello, first post here as a proud owner of a new Matrix Bulldog 400. I searched the forum but was unable to find any specifics relating to my concern. Hopefully one of the guys or gals here would be kind enough to take a moment and share their thoughts on the matter.

I have a simple question about the flight deck or rail. Upon unboxing, I observed a small aluminum burr on the inside edge of the right rail approximately half an inch back from the riser end (perspective from a right handed shooter while aiming). I simply rubbed the burr with my nail to remove the same and smooth the surface, not thinking anything of it. The next day while looking over the rail, I noticed the area where the burr was located did indeed feel smooth to the touch, but there was a slight dip in the rail from the burr removal. The dip being about 2 mm in size and shallow. It is on the bottom edge of the actual 45 degree cut arrow groove inside the channel.

Do you think this has the potential to affect accuracy?? Is the arrow groove similar to a rifle barrel where any imperfections can affect trajectory?? And, before you ask, I am unable to shoot it due to the fact the riser/limb assembly was RMA'd for cosmetic issues (spots of camo missing from limbs and a gouge in riser exposing bare metal). So far, Excalibur customer service has been awesome and immediately offered a replacement limb/riser assembly without cosmetic issues (the old assembly was brand new still with the safety tag on string).

I would love to hear any thoughts or opinions and I sincerely thank anyone in advance who has taken time out of their day to assist me.
Normous

Re: Matrix Bulldog Rail Burr

Post by Normous »

Hi, and welcome, the way I see it being on the inside bottom mainframe arrow channel edge there is no concern over this feature affecting accuracy.
Your arrow will continue unaffected to your target and no additional string wear can result.
Shoot on.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
spoterces

Post by spoterces »

Thank you for the response. I was hoping it would not affect accuracy and you put my mind at ease. Although it will bug me for a while with time I won't give it a second thought. Sighting in will be the final test, but for piece of mind I just wanted to know what to expect. The reason I had to ask was aside from buggin' the hell out of me, it seemed practical to think that the arrow track should be perfect in every way to ensure the best accuracy, as it is the barrel of the arrow so to speak. But like you said, something in that location and size, theoretically should not affect flight. Lastly, I know all too well nothing mass produced in this world is perfect.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Shoot in confidence and if it still bugs you after your hunting season is over just send a photo of the area to Excalibur for assessment or kindly ask for a replacement.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Agree with the other post, You should be good to go ..
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

it already bugs you. if this is a new purchase id return it. these crossbows arent cheap. the problem with doing a replacement is that the rail camo finish may not match the riser or limbs. you also take the chance of buggering the screws or stripping the threads as there very little threads cut into the rail. ive delt with that in the past and gave up. its better to get a complete out of the box crossbow. the camo will be matching.when the Micros first came out the rail on my black version had chatter marks in bedded in the aluminum rail and they did offer to replace it when they became available. there are definatley some lemons that get through. for me its not acceptable for crossbows pushing $1000. if its brand new i say replace it now. :mrgreen:
spoterces

Post by spoterces »

Thanks for the replies. I totally get what you are saying foofoo and I agree. However, I already RMA'd the limb assembly for cosmetic issues. Bare metal showing through a gouge in the riser is just not cool for a brand new $1,000.00+ crossbow. On the same note, Excalibur has been great about it.

But, that's why I brought the question here. If the slight dip in the rail after burr removal will have no negative affect at all and is barely noticeable, I can live with it even though its a bit of a bother.

My dilemma is at what threshold do we stop looking for perfection but yet at the same time feel good about our purchase and feel like we got what we paid for? That's where I look to the more experienced guys for advice. The last thing I want to do is pursue absolute perfection, which is non existent in todays world, rather than spending that time in the woods.

As Murphy's law has it, a replacement may as well have different issues or worse issues that made it through QC. One never knows...
Boo

Post by Boo »

It might sound weird, but the arrow contact in that area during arrow flight is pretty much non-existent. A small low spot is of no consequence anywhere along the groove. Check out the SMF bows, rather than a continuous arrow groove, there are a few little "bumps" to support the arrow during its run down the rail.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

cosmetic issues not such a big deal. a burr in the rail i wouldnt want whether it affect accuracy or not. it will find a way to snag on something lol. you sent the front end in so as long as you get the same riser back it will match. if they replaced the limbs they may not match perfect but it shouldnt be too noticeable.
spoterces

Post by spoterces »

Wow, never knew that about the SMF. Tried to look but was unable to find a picture of that. Definitely puts my mind at easy knowing that though. I am thinking my rail should be ok as its just a slight dip near the very end.

Foofoo, the riser and limbs both had issues. The bare metal was exposed on the riser and the limbs showed spots were there was no camo, just glass. The burr was removed and the area is smooth now, just the depression in the rail as a concern.