Cutting your carbon arrow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Cutting your carbon arrow

Post by sproulman »

I do not want to buy arrow saw...Can say a dremel tool or something else you have in your Garage be used to cut your arrows..Thanks...
ThackMan

Re: Cutting your carbon arrow

Post by ThackMan »

You can cut them with a cut off wheel as long as you use an ASD or other device to square them afterwards.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
SouthShoreRat

Post by SouthShoreRat »

The dust produced is not healthy at all. I would buy my arrows from a company that will cut them for you.

If you do decide to use a dremel do it outside and have a fan blowing the dust away from you. Then as already suggested use an arrow square to true up the cut.
The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
www.southshorearcherysupply.com
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Can a copper pipe cutter you use at home to cut copper 1/2 inch pipe work/You would not have any dust at all but I do not know if it will work.It would put a fairly sq cut I think on end before you use g5 ..?
Quintehunter

Post by Quintehunter »

A pipe cutter won't work to cut carbon arrows. They will splinter if you try it.
A Dremel with a cut-off wheel will work, but you will need to square the end after.
catclr

Post by catclr »

I use my band saw with a fine tooth blade & works. I did get a arrow saw, but the band saw does just as good. So I have the arrow saw for sale.

I tried the copper cutter, as saw them on youtube, but had problems with splitting the carbon fibers and not cutting.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks

Post by newbie »

wear a mask however you choose to cut them
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I am using the Harbor Freight mini chop saw to cut down arrows. It comes with a metal blade that works for aluminum shafts and you can get abrasive cutoff wheels to do carbon arrows. I have the shop vac running right by the cutter when doing carbon arrows to get all the dust. Some folks have claimed you could run the metal blade in reverse to cut carbons, I have not tried that as I already had bought abrasive wheels and wanted to keep the metal blade in good shape for cutting aluminum shafts.

Remember to square up your shafts after cutting and you are ready to continue building.

Here is an article on how to do it.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arrow-Saw/

If you Google "Harbor Freight arrow saw" you should come up with quite a few links as well.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers