Late to the party

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Late to the party

Post by SEW »

After 29 years of Xbow hunting, I discovered just how great Excalibur xbows are. I've owned a M380 for 4 years, M405 for 3, and a BD400 for 1. No plans for more as these perfectly meet my desires.
Other great finds have been the HHA Optimizer and the entire DrStirrup kits. TT, Vixenmaster and Boo strings are great also.
The latest great find is Lumenoks. I'm likely one of the few who have resisted trying lighted nocks. I ordered 6 from David (Wyvern Creations), tried them 2 days ago, slightly tweaked my scope setting, and won't go w/o them. Ordering more. I realize there are various lighted nocks, but don't know what more I'd want.
Any suggestions, recommendations concerning the usage of Lumenoks will be appreciated.
Last edited by SEW on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrassyKnoll

Re: Late to the party

Post by GrassyKnoll »

For me Lumenoks are the only nocks I've used since I got into crossbows...

They have been consistent with turning on each and every shot, are very bright, good battery life, solid construction and fitment to the shaft has been excellent.. Battery replacement is simple and inexpensive..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
lunghit

Post by lunghit »

My Lumenocks have been perfect so far. I have a dozen flat plastic nocks coming today that I plan on trying to match the weight of my lighted nocks. I have done this with my vertical nocks for years.
Excal Wolverine
Hawke XB-30
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Nothing beats seeing your glowing Lumenok stuck in the forest floor after a complete pass through. That is one of life's aha moments...:)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I've learned how to spell Lumenok now :D
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....Steve, since you have now been illumenated, no one will nok your decision! :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

It's great watching the light hit the mark, then pass through it. :D If you're interested in matching plastic nocks to the Luminoks Normous has enlightened me on this. Take a .5" 10-24 set screw and epoxy it into the plastic nock. I set it on my scale and add enough epoxy to match the Luminok weight exactly. Also, there are two small wire connections on the Luminoks where they make contact with the shaft to complete the connection and light up. I orient them with the cock vane to avoid scratching the rail. I'll give my opinion on the Firenocks when I'm back from my hunt. Hopefully they're worth six times the price of the much loved Luminoks.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Paul , you should set them up horizontal to the rail or main frame it will not hit the frame at all it sure looks like it will but it clears by a mile . if you set it up with the cock vane it will rub on the spring that holds the arrow and may affect your arrow flight. any way that's what I found. and that's what Lumenock says. good luck on your hunt.
W.M.
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Couple weeks ago shot a pretty nice buck mid morning with a complete pass through -- problem was that my arrow simply was not sticking in the ground where I thought it should be. I spent considerable time looking and looking but finally gave up and chalked it up as lost. That evening I went back in hopes of maybe seeing a little green light. Looked and looked but my arrow was apparently lost to the bush monsters -- I had almost given up and then notice about 30' away there was the little glowing green light-- the arrow had apparently ricocheted off a branch and had skipped into the brush after passing through that critter. No way would I have recovered that arrow without the lumenok --- I love em!!
lunghit

Post by lunghit »

paulaboutform wrote:It's great watching the light hit the mark, then pass through it. :D If you're interested in matching plastic nocks to the Luminoks Normous has enlightened me on this. Take a .5" 10-24 set screw and epoxy it into the plastic nock. I set it on my scale and add enough epoxy to match the Luminok weight exactly. Also, there are two small wire connections on the Luminoks where they make contact with the shaft to complete the connection and light up. I orient them with the cock vane to avoid scratching the rail. I'll give my opinion on the Firenocks when I'm back from my hunt. Hopefully they're worth six times the price of the much loved Luminoks.

Paul
That's a good idea. What I have done in the past with my vertical bow nocks was cut open a shotgun shell and glue the Bb's in till the weight matched. Screws might be a little easier so I'll give that a try.
Excal Wolverine
Hawke XB-30
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

W.Miguire wrote:Paul , you should set them up horizontal to the rail or main frame it will not hit the frame at all it sure looks like it will but it clears by a mile . if you set it up with the cock vane it will rub on the spring that holds the arrow and may affect your arrow flight. any way that's what I found. and that's what Lumenock says. good luck on your hunt.
W.M.
Thanks Bill, that's a great point. I never even considered the arrow retainer. Fortunately I don't have to worry about it with the Firenocks I'm loaded up with right now. Now they only have to be five times better. :mrgreen: We'll see. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

As said here I put my red lumenocks horizontal and it does not touch rail.also red lumenocks are brighter than green but do not last as long ...

I had to grind some off my plastic nocks inside after putting in set screw as Paul said to match weight of Lumenocks ...