Hitting Thumb

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Re: Hitting Thumb

Post by flightattendant100 »

cropduster wrote:Man you are a cold bunch !
You have NO idea! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

Goodluck with your test quest.

I'm a shooter that has the habit of holding my barrel down so I took the following measure to reduce damage at my age. I wear a fish fillet glove religiously. I haven't had a problem adjusting to the crossbow but its my insurance.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS- ... lsrc=aw.ds
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:Goodluck with your test quest.

I'm a shooter that has the habit of holding my barrel down so I took the following measure to reduce damage at my age. I wear a fish fillet glove religiously. I haven't had a problem adjusting to the crossbow but its my insurance.

Well... that glove outta hold the piece you wack off if you do hit your thumb or fingers. :shock:
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:Goodluck with your test quest.

If the string on my 405 is dropping down onto any part of my hand, this is the type of glove I would prefer

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everlast-cl ... DQodyJ8LCQ
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Species8472 wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:Hmmmm, you pose an interesting question.(EDIT: oops, I thought it was OneShotScott)...Species, was it you who performed a study on this subject a couple years ago? What do you think, did the increase of dermal matter on the string create significant enough resistance to increase frictional coefficients that it resulted in a decreased trajectory algorithm....changing P.O.I.. :mrgreen:

Paul

Being the world's foremost expert on the topic I can lay the subject to rest. First a few refreshers:

The initial damage:

Getting there:

All repaired:

Now as to the effect on POI - From my thumbs on experience the collision with my digit caused a 6 inch drop from normal POI at 25 yards. Based on the depth of penetration on the 18-1 it would still result in a fatal hit to a deer if one compensated for the extra drop.

Actually I was about a mile from the truck in the bush when this happened and it caused a clean miss on the deer I was shooting at. New idea on how much the POI changed - but it was significant.
Now that's a man's man there, pausing the operation to snap a picture! Priceless! :lol: :lol:
They'll believe it when they see the pictures! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

After what his bow did to his digit, he names his bow after a sweet little girl. What an abundance of forgiveness. What a class guy.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Brake1

Post by Brake1 »

Mine was the left index finger. On 6 November I had been sighting in my rifles and holding the barrel down when shooting. My Matrix 380 was in the sun-room and prior to returning it to the case I was going to shoot it one time. That is what it turned out to be, I spent the rest of the evening and most of the night in ER and underwent emergency surgery. The string hit behind the left knuckle of the pointer finger the and cut the finger and bone. Could have been a lot worse. At first they were going to remove the digit but decided there was still blood flow and would be able to save it. Stitches have been removed and hopefully the pin will be removed next Tuesday (29th). The bolt was deflected approximately 2" to the left on the 25 yard target.

At first I did not feel anything but knew something was not right with the shot. I looked at the crossbow, then toward the target before glancing down at my hand, then I knew what was wrong with the shot and the shooter.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Brake1
I hate that for you! I hope you heal up well...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Not sure about thumb but if you leave a hook on the string and shoot you do not care how far the arrow went. I was more concerned about the blood squirting out eight feet away from my body from the other hook and handle. :oops:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

1 of our camp members took his thumb off with 380 and no health insurance ...He is paying 25 dollars per month to hospital. ...Doctor said he needs reconstructive surgery but he said he cannot afford it...

He has no tv also as he could not afford 180.00 a month for tv charge.

Like me my insurance does not cover LIFE FLIGHT so on my last Heart attack I laid in emergency room for 6 hrs waiting for Ambulance...

Some say do away with OBAMACARE but it has reduced my payment from 856.00 dollars per month to 385.00 per month .no dental,no drugs but at least I have insurance ......
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

I started thinking about building thumb savers after my dad hurt his thumb (minor injury) and was still tossing the idea around when Species wreaked his thumb. After that I came up with an easy thumb saver for my older Excal which I posted last year.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=60975

Thank You Species for getting me off my ass and protecting my self.

FYI The finger guards work great as designed. One of my better efforts and really easy to make.