What a night!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntman

What a night!

Post by huntman »

I went out for an evening hunt tonight and all i have to say is WOW. This was the first time hunting this property and defentalty not the last I arrived to the field at about 3:15 a little late but better then not going out at all. I drove my truck down the field and parked it at the end of the bush that i do not hunt. I hunt about a 10 min walk from where i park. make a long story short after i drove into the field and was spraying down my clothes and doing all the other prep work i glance into the field that i just drove through and there is the largest most beautiful buck i have ever seen. I'm talking an easy 200 scoring buck. I jump into the bush and try to grunt and rattle at him, he shows little interset and closes in but no where close for a shot. he was at 200+ then closed into about 120. The wind was in my favour and there was no way an old boy like him was going to cross a field without the wind in his face. He ends up going into the bush on the oposite side of me. i decide not to try to go in after him because that bush is very very thick. I then walk over to where i wanted to hunt and start to grunt and rattle while sitting on the ground in 6 foot high grass. This was not where i wanted to be sitting but because i wasted time on the buck i did not want to be breaking branches and making too much noise to clear a better area to shoot. After about 10 mins i hear walking in the bush that joins to the tall grass then i hear walking through the grass but i cant see a damn thing. Then it happend i see a nice six pointer stick is head out of the grass no more then 10 feet from me. What i heard next we all no is the worst sound to hear while hunting him snort. I runs with his flag waving. i wasn't going to even try to shoot. On the way back to the truck i seen another 7 deer feeding in two different areas. All in all i saw 9 deer and had the time of my life. My question to you all is i had a six pointer come into my calling and rattling which could be a pretty good sign that they are still in rut but i don't understand why the big buck would be feeding at 3:00 in the afternoon?
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Just because he might of came in to your grunting or ratttling doesnt mean there still in runt.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
peter p

Post by peter p »

What type of feeding field was it.
It seems like at this time of the year the deer are all together. Quite a few years back me and my dad hunted the late controlled deer hunt. It starts the first week in December.
We do alot of drives and we couldn't find any deer until the last day. They were all together when we found them and we managed to get one each and my dad's was a monster buck.
Why that buck was out at that time I'm not sure but I bet he was looking for some does that were not bred or the second rut is starting.
huntman

Post by huntman »

wildwindom wrote:Just because he might of came in to your grunting or ratttling doesnt mean there still in runt.
I am not a know it all by any means. I learn something new everyday whether it be here on the forum or by reading different deer books. My understand is that rattling significe 2 bucks fight usually over a doe and the grunting along with that is the two of them communicating dominance. I figure if a buck comes roaming around after you do a series of that the buck still has one thing on his mind. More then likely he's looking for a doe that has not been serviced. If i'm wrong please educate me. I'm saying this sincerly maybe i'm wrong?
huntman

Post by huntman »

peter p wrote:What type of feeding field was it.
It was a soya bean field that had been harvested then cultavated. What he was eating i don't know. Either there was a few beans left behind or he likes the taste of soil :?
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

He was just cheking out the snacks, but was ready for the ladies, should one show up to eat. I don't think he would burn up calories, unless absolutly necessary. 200 class easy, is preatty much the boss. My old lady is in the 200 class, and I will not mess with her. Lol. She'd kill me! Answer, every thing needs things to surrvive. 1) food 2) water 3) safe place. I think your deer was going for #1
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain