HHA Optimizer--low lite adjustment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

figam

HHA Optimizer--low lite adjustment

Post by figam »

Love my HHA. But want to know how those who use them deal with low lite adjustment. Quite often the best shots come at the end of shooting lite. I can't see the numbers on my adjusting wheel without great difficulty--usually use a green or red lite, creating a lot of movement in the shooting house. How do you handle this??
Steve Gardner
SEW

Re: HHA Optimizer--low lite adjustment

Post by SEW »

Same as you. Very small green, red, white flashlight. There needs to be a better way.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Add a small drop of good glue (clean well first) to the side of the adjustment wheel at 30, 40, 50 etc. Or glue on small marker of some kind to the side of the wheel.
Think of it as a braille type yardage mark indicator .
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I like Norm's braille idea.

I use an HHA on one of my bows, (I'm not hunting from a shooting house granted), but when the light gets low and I don't feel like fiddling with the the dial, I set it at 33y and forget it. With my Matrix 405's speed, I'm minute of deer accurate out to 40y which is about as far as I'd shoot under really low light anyway.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I would try adding some glow in the dark paint, either 1,2,3 ... dots to correspond with 10,20,30 ... yards. I have used the Ultra Green from Glowinc. It maintains its glow for many hours after being charged, either by the sun or a flashlight.

http://glow.glowinc.com/ultra-green-v10 ... ark-paint/

You could try painting in the numbers, may have to do some surface prep to get it to stick. I usually seal it in with clear nail polish after it dries as well. It should be plenty bright in a ground blind in the last few legal minutes of shooting, you can always take a small light and give it a quick charge up an hour before end of shooting light.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers