? for leupold vx-r users

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deaf jeff

? for leupold vx-r users

Post by Deaf jeff »

does anyone use this vx-r? does it gather much light at dusk/dawn with it being only 20mm? thanks

Model: Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm Matte Riflescope, FireDot Duplex Reticle 111230
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Carnivorous

Re: ? for leupold vx-r users

Post by Carnivorous »

Deaf jeff wrote:does anyone use this vx-r? does it gather much light at dusk/dawn with it being only 20mm? thanks

I use that exact scope. Light gathering at last light is incredible. You may loose the cross hair but the fire-dot dialed down low shows you where to aim. It really shines when aiming at a black bear at dusk... :)

I won't use any other scope on my bow....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have a vxr firedot on my 380 exc glass i do alot of bear hunting its a must have for bears dusk and dawn hunting its a plus
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have a VXR Patrol in 1.25-4x20mm and it's a great scope. You will scratch your head at how they pack that many features into a lightweight package. (I'll sell it for a great price if you want to PM me for details as I soon won't have a bow to mount it to).

I also have a 3-9x40mm VXR and it is marginally better in low light, as in barely noticeable. This season at dawn in a thick fog I executed a shot that I never would've been able to attempt with most crossbow specific scopes. The firedot was subtle enough so as not to obscure my target and the image I saw through the scope was sharper and clearer than my own eyes. The biggest buck I've killed to date will hang on my wall as a direct result of the scope I put on my bow.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:does anyone use this vx-r? does it gather much light at dusk/dawn with it being only 20mm? thanks

Jeff, scoped do not gather light. But better scopes manage light better. They do that mainly by using better glass and coatings to a allow more light through the lens.
A 30mm scope will give you a larger field of view and more range of adjustment.
All things being equal, a 1" scope can be just as bright as a 30mm scope.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

1.25x20= exit pupil of 16.... Yep it's bright enough! You'll love it!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Boo wrote:

Jeff, scoped do not gather light. But better scopes manage light better. They do that mainly by using better glass and coatings to a allow more light through the lens.
A 30mm scope will give you a larger field of view and more range of adjustment.
All things being equal, a 1" scope can be just as bright as a 30mm scope.
scopes are one thing that i do not know much about, foregive my ignorance.
i should have used the word "bright" instead of "gather light" :oops:. i have 3x9x50 vxr's on my rifle and muzzleloader.

also am considering the
VX•R 1.5-5x33mm Scout FireDot for my 355. i know the variable magnification is not needed, its the brightness that matters most to me
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
SEW

Post by SEW »

My understanding is that an exit pupil of 4.5-5 allows the maximum light usable by most eyes. There is an age related factor but that goes beyond the scope of this post, maybe thread. So a 40 mm scope objective set on 8x will have an exit pupil of 5, while the same scope set on 2 will have an exit pupil of 20. In very low light conditions, my Zeiss Duralyt 2-8 seems to be just as bright at 8x as it does at 2x. However, my very bright B&L 4200 40mm 6x24 is a different story. 24 X (Exit pupil of <1.5) is much less usable in low light than 6-8x (8x has an exit pupil of 5).
So a 20mm scope of 1.5x4 will still have an exit pupil 5 on 4x. So, as Boo stated, it gives up no light gathering even at maximum power. Many hunting scopes have objective sizes so that max power still has an exit pupil of near 5 (3x9, 40 mm has an exit pupil of 4.44 at 9x).
A really bright scope will allow questionably ethical shots because even though you can properly sight on whatever is sighted, the side view isn't really available and something, some body, could enter the projectile path. Maybe there's a good reason most states, provinces have a 30 min after official sunset hunting limit.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

SEW wrote:My understanding is that an exit pupil of 4.5-5 allows the maximum light usable by most eyes. There is an age related factor but that goes beyond the scope of this post, maybe thread. So a 40 mm scope objective set on 8x will have an exit pupil of 5, while the same scope set on 2 will have an exit pupil of 20. In very low light conditions, my Zeiss Duralyt 2-8 seems to be just as bright at 8x as it does at 2x. However, my very bright B&L 4200 40mm 6x24 is a different story. 24 X (Exit pupil of <1.5) is much less usable in low light than 6-8x (8x has an exit pupil of 5).
So a 20mm scope of 1.5x4 will still have an exit pupil 5 on 4x. So, as Boo stated, it gives up no light gathering even at maximum power. Many hunting scopes have objective sizes so that max power still has an exit pupil of near 5 (3x9, 40 mm has an exit pupil of 4.44 at 9x).
A really bright scope will allow questionably ethical shots because even though you can properly sight on whatever is sighted, the side view isn't really available and something, some body, could enter the projectile path. Maybe there's a good reason most states, provinces have a 30 min after official sunset hunting limit.
Don't ask him what time it is! :lol:
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

With this fire dot reticle, can u use 3 aim points or just the one?
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Any of you guys with the Firedots use this BDC reticle?
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ

Post by newbie »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:Any of you guys with the Firedots use this BDC reticle?
i have two SPR firedots. 1.25x4 Love them. (thanks again Derrick...except for the drawing :shock: )
Small light fits a Micro perfect.
i was blown away how bright good glass is when i first got it.
I have mine sighted for 25 this year and have hold overs to 60.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Boo

Post by Boo »

newbie wrote:
i have two SPR firedots. 1.25x4 Love them. (thanks again Derrick...except for the drawing :shock: )
Small light fits a Micro perfect.
i was blown away how bright good glass is when i first got it.
I have mine sighted for 25 this year and have hold overs to 60.
Most guys who use lesser scopes are blown away when they look through superior scopes. Better scopes not only let you see more in darker areas but they also present a clearer image and are generally much more tough/reliable than their lesser competitors.
Boo

Post by Boo »

That's a Pig Plex like on my Hog Scope.
Used it on my 405. Center at 30, 2nd one down was 40 and the top of the lower reticle was 50. Killed a turkey using the 50.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I am looking to get one of the VXR scopes, I am just not sure what reticle to get. I am leaning towards the BDC reticle I have pictured above. Thanks
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ