Mechanical Broadhead Results for the 2016 Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bloodtrail

Re: Mechanical Broadhead Results for the 2016 Season

Post by bloodtrail »

[quote="toledo"]We were after the same thing this season. Micro 355. All deer shot broadside, behind shoulder, inside 30 yards, hitting nothing but rib bones in and out, all pass through. Two hunters.

Spitfire XXX- 3 does shot, 1 broken blade on two of the three. All ran between 40-80 yards.

Switched to new Grim Reaper Pro series 2" cut 125 grn whitetail special. Shot one small doe. Deer ran 15 yards but one blade broke. Shot mature buck and blades broke off before entering the ribcage. 2 completely gone and one half way gone. Absolute total failure. No blood trail. Wound channel through the lungs looked like a field point. Only reason I found the deer was because it ran 30 yards and turned around to see what happened then barely eased off. Took a while for him to die but he didn't run and I was lucky. Deer of a lifetime and got very lucky.

Switched to NAP FOC 170 grn. 1 spike ran 25 yards and piled up. 1 mature buck was hit a touch too far back and ran 75 yards. Much tougher and thicker blades. My go to from here out. Wish they'd make a 3 blade model around 200 grn just to see.[/
quote]

I noticed the Grim Reaper model you used was the whitetail special. I think they were designed to be used on vert compounds. Try the Xbox model #1883
Hope this helps.
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
kman35ca

Re: Mechanical Broadhead Results for the 2016 Season

Post by kman35ca »

I got a decent sized 8 point whitetail shot with a 380 matrix with a 125g plain Jane Grim reaper 1-1/2 inch 3 blade. I shot it right in front of the left shoulder as it was quartered towards me. Full pass through right behind the ribs on right side. Took out both lungs. Decent blood trail. But only went about 50 yards then dropped. Recovered broad head had 1 broken blade. But shot exact same as my FPs except until 60 yards where they would drop 3 inches, but that was a consistent drop.
Matrix 380
Pretty stock, for now.....
First crossbow