Carbons & 3D targets.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

C.J.

Carbons & 3D targets.

Post by C.J. »

Hi Guys,
Bought a 6-pack of Excal 22series Carbons today here in the UK,only to find the following message inside the box:
We do not recommend use of carbon arrows for 3D targets!!!!
Can anyone tell me the reason for this!

Thanx
C.J.
C.J.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Don't know if it's their reason, but carbons are hard too pull out of most 3-D targets innless soaped or waxed up.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
CaptainCharles

Post by CaptainCharles »

Use some type of lubrication! Carbons create so much friction when they hit the target it actually melts the material and fuses to the arrow.....
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
C.J.

Ref, lubricating carbons.

Post by C.J. »

Gary,
I have heard of wiping carbons over with furniture polish on occasion,but I did'nt realise it was for that reason.

Thanx
C.J.
C.J.
GaryL

Re: Ref, lubricating carbons.

Post by GaryL »

C.J. wrote:Gary,
I have heard of wiping carbons over with furniture polish on occasion,but I did'nt realise it was for that reason.

Thanx
C.J.
Ayep some of the guy's I shoot 3-D with do that...makes them a lot easier to pull out.. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

best stuff is called WOODIES. ITs expensive and it comes in a nasty little glass bottle (at least one or two get dropped on our range floor yearly and its a PAIN to clean up)

I shot a 3D league one cold day in 03 with Laser II bolts using the "armour all" filled lube tube I use with my olympic bow and X10 arrows

what a PAIN-one wolf I had to stand on the beast to pull the bolt out

next time-used the WOODIES

NO PROBLEMO
Farmer

Arrow Lube

Post by Farmer »

I have used spray silicone to lube arrows ( in a lube tube ) used in 3d with good luck. A friend on Eders told me he uses a plain old bar of soap. Have used carbons to shoot 3d for some time with no trouble ( 72#@30 " darton Cyclone and my Exocet 165# with mag tips )
CaptainCharles

Post by CaptainCharles »

I have no problems shooting carbons witth my Combound bow. But when I use my Exomax, I can't use 3D targets, for the reasons in my earlier post. I found the Block target works great, no pass throughs and no stuck arrows.....
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
Don

Post by Don »

A plain old bar of soap, less than a buck at the store will work just candy. run the carbon bolt across it a few times to get it all around and you will have no more trouble pulling it out than an aluminum bolt. But if you forget once it can be hard to damn near impossible to remove.

Don :lol:
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

in addition to the soap, one of BJ's custom plier-type pullers works well too.

1/2 twist breaks them free and then they pull right out.