What to do with the heart and liver?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Vladymere

What to do with the heart and liver?

Post by Vladymere »

Fellows,

I took my 6th deer ever and my first deer witha bow, Excalibur of course.

I got a 165 lb., 11 point buck from my backyard in the city of Charlotte, NC. For the SE, which is known for its dog sized deer, this is a pretty healthy one. And in the city limits to boot.

I have both the heart and liver from this deer but I don't know how to prepare them. I'm guessing that I can slice the liver into about 3/8" slices, flour them and then fry it up with onions like I would with beef liver.

My real delimma is how to prepare the heart. How do fellows prepare your hearts?

Thanks guys,

Vlad
wabi

Post by wabi »

Vlad,
"Field & Stream" magazine had some recipes in their last issue. My wife made the liver recipe the other evening (but substituted apple cider for the 2 cups of Yukon Jack) and I was so stuffed I couldn't move :lol:
Basically, fry a pound af bacon cut into 1" pieces (very crisp) and set aside, saute a few sliced onions, flour & brown the liver slices, combine all and add liquid and cook for an hour or two.
We have the heart & tongue in the freezer waiting on me to get another deer before we sample them. I don't know where the magazine is, but if you can't find a copy let me know and I'll copy the recipes for you.
wabi
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

I have always boiled the heart. Open the chambers to make sure all of the blood is emptied out. Then boil it until done. Doesn't take long. Slice it up and it makes DELICIOUS sandwiches. I always keep the heart just for sandwich eatin.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
mikeh

fry

Post by mikeh »

You can also thin slicely the heart and fry in butter. Yum!
Baking a stuffed heart is also delicous.
LoneWolf

Re: fry

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
korey99

Post by korey99 »

The best place for a deer heart and liver is in the woods, with the rest of the guts! I personally can't eat either, although I have tried both. To each his own, as with anything in life. I've also heard that you aren't suppoed to eat the liver from wild game, due to toxins in it. Anyone else heard similar?

Hunt hard...only a couple of weeks left!

korey99
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Organs such as heart, liver, lungs and kidneys contain levels of cadmium from air pollution. The older the animal the higher the levels. Eating it once in a while like once a year won't do any harm. Personally, I enjoy fried liver with onions. Although, I can't eat too much liver becaue I find it hard to digest.
Last edited by Woodsman on Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Woodsman wrote:Organs such as heart, liver, lungs and kidneys contain levels of cadmium from air polution.
The heart would be as safe to eat as any other cut. It is a muscle just like the backstraps or sirloin tips. The liver however is a different organ with a different function and I wouldn't want to eat one from a cow.

You can make a rolled/stuffed roast with the heart. I've never tried it but imagine it would be quite good.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Possums have got eat too... :wink:
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Post by Guest »

The heart is just another piece of meat as some have stated. You can eat it without any worries. Remove the paracardium (sack around the heart) and vessles first.
Fried liver's a bit rich for my liking. BUT, one of my friends makes a great pate' with it. Spread on Stoned Wheat Crackers or the like is wonderful.
Too cold in these parts to consider feeding Possums. None around.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Organs such as heart, liver, lungs and kidneys contain levels of cadmium from air pollution.
(Pete, please don't take this as a personal response or challenge, it isn't, just an observation based on the information you posted.)
If we must breathe the same air, we are probably already exposed to these same toxins.
I carefully observe the texture and color of any meat or organs before I take them home or even consider consuming them. Such treats as fresh liver are enjoyed in moderation (only the 2 or 3 deer I personally kill per year) but they are a delicious change of diet once in a great while. I have seen many deer livers over the years, and have seen a couple which didn't appear to be from healthy animals (mottled coloration) which promptly went into the gut pile for the 'possums. Problem is, I don't like 'possums since they have caused me several problems with their nocturnal scavenging ways here in my hometown. Had one get under my house & die, and I discovered it by the unpleasant odor seemingly coming up through the air vents. Removing it for disposal caused me to form a strong dislike for 'possums as I gagged and tried to crawl out for fresh air.
wabi
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I just wouldn't have the guts or heart,to do it.

Grey Owl
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Just going by what I have read on this subject at different times. Here's a tid bit from an article from Outdoor Canada on moose:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/hunt/edible_moose2.shtml

In which it states:

HEART, LIVER AND KIDNEYS
In some cultures, the kidneys and other leftovers make for prime fare. For most hunters, though, the heart and liver are the favoured organs. Be warned, though: many jurisdictions (Ontario in particular) advise against the eating of hearts and livers from moose and deer. The fear is the concentration of heavy metals, particularly cadmium, which is found in larger doses in older animals. Still, many hunters consider a fry-up of heart and liver as a part of the tradition of being in the field. For the best flavour, gently sauté—not fry—the organs over low heat in a frying pan. Do not overcook.

We did keep the heart and liver from the buck I shot this year during the rifle season because he was a younger animal with a very healthy looking liver.

My very first buck(an older animal) many years ago was the first one I ever saw with cysts on the liver.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
maple

Post by maple »

It's just like eating fish or diving ducks or beef liver or anything else includind celery. It all has trace amounts of heavy metals in it. The one of concern in deer liver is cadmium. With all the air polllution coming up from the industrial areas to the south (Toronto, Sudbury, USA etc.) it's best not to eat "too much".

Just as the annual "Guide to Eating Sportfish in Ontario" specifies you should eat younger fish rather than older fish, by the same logic you should also limit your intake of deer liver to younger animals. It makes sense since the liver's function is basically that of a filter that removes and retains toxins. Eat young liver if you can. It should be pink/purple and smooth. Don't keep one with black spots or lumps.

Mind you even the fish consumption guide allows a large amount of fish to be eaten monthly even when it's known to contain mercury, mirex PCBs etc., just not every day. I don't think a clean liver or two a year would do any harm at all. Just my read on this, although I don't fancy it myself.

Maple