Long range shooters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NEPAbowhunter

Re: Long range shooters

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

LongCarbine wrote:I'm working to extend my hunting range another 5 yards or so . I've been shooting at 65 yards ( that's not what I'll shoot a deer at) from field positions . Pretty much 1-2 inches left to right but from 1 inch high to up to 4 inches low . I have a Tac-zone scope and I think my eye wonders to the point on top of triangle and causes the lower shots . Anyone have any thoughts or ideas that could help me.
Thanks Jim
Not sure what arrows you are shooting but you could start there. How is the trigger? New optics may help also. If you are shooting off hand thats pretty good IMO.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:Not sure what arrows you are shooting but you could start there. How is the trigger? New optics may help also. If you are shooting off hand thats pretty good IMO.
Arrows are 18" Executioners 92 grain brass inserts 2 " blasers vanes spined indexed and within 3 grains. Trigger is stock but not to bad. Sitting and kneeling off shooting sticks , prone off rolled up pad. After shooting some more I'm pretty sure it's my sight picture. I moved back to 70 yards and my windage was still good but my up and down got a little worst . I guess with my set up any sight error will really show up , After 60 yards the arrows start to really drop. Oh well i'll just have to get within 55 yards to those mulies :D
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Tom

Post by Tom »

LongCarbine wrote:............. I guess with my set up any sight error will really show up , After 60 yards the arrows start to really drop. Oh well i'll just have to get within 55 yards to those mulies :D
Last year at Boofest, some said that shooting at 100 yards was a waste of time, but actually it is a great teaching tool. Even some of the young lads from Excalibur would not believe how high they would have to hold their 50 yard pin to hit the target at 100 yards. A shooter also was able to see how much the wind effected the flight of the arrow.

All mistakes you make are magnified the further the shot becomes. Just get into a routine and try to make every situation (the shot) the same, this will also help with your accuracy.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Tom wrote:
LongCarbine wrote:............. I guess with my set up any sight error will really show up , After 60 yards the arrows start to really drop. Oh well i'll just have to get within 55 yards to those mulies :D
Last year at Boofest, some said that shooting at 100 yards was a waste of time, but actually it is a great teaching tool. Even some of the young lads from Excalibur would not believe how high they would have to hold their 50 yard pin to hit the target at 100 yards. A shooter also was able to see how much the wind effected the flight of the arrow.

All mistakes you make are magnified the further the shot becomes. Just get into a routine and try to make every situation (the shot) the same, this will also help with your accuracy.

Tom
Mark the date and time because Tom and I are 100% in agreement! :shock: :lol: Seriously though, I do agree completely and we can all benefit from some double distance shooting.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.