O/T What is Your Favorite Wivestale?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUCKSHOT

O/T What is Your Favorite Wivestale?

Post by BUCKSHOT »

There are hundreds of wivestales to be told!
Are there any that you guys believe in and go by?
My favorite, is the one about not getting snow, that will amount to anything, until there is enough water in the swamps! True this year!
Have you got some good ones too share?
As I said there are hundreds, but I just thought it would be neat to see what truth lies in the ol' boys stories!
Shoot Straight & Be Happy! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Step on a crack, break your mothers back.
Keep crossing your eyes and they'll get stuck that way.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Mom - "If you keep doing that you will go blind."

Kid - " Can I just do it until I need glasses?"

:wink:
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
rickman

Post by rickman »

Wht did you watch the guy take a crap or what!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

They're not "old wives tales" anymore. The PC term is "aging spousal units" 8)
Greg
BUCKSHOT

My aging spousal unit

Post by BUCKSHOT »

My aging spousal unit :lol: :lol: got a laugh out of WW's reply! :wink:
BTW does Moss only grow on the North side of a tree!
Will it be a really hard winter following a summer with more wasps than usual?
How about: When the wind is out of the East, Fish bite the least!
When the wind is out of the West, Fish bite the best!
And one more: Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning!
Red sky at night, sailors delight!
As I said earlier, there are hundreds but are any of them true?
Enjoy the Harvest!
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

Woody Williams wrote:Mom - "If you keep doing that you will go blind."

:shock: :shock: :shock: Hmmm I started wearing glasses when I was 10 years old!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: What does that tell you??? Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Brampton Mike wrote:
Woody Williams wrote:Mom - "If you keep doing that you will go blind."

:shock: :shock: :shock: Hmmm I started wearing glasses when I was 10 years old!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: What does that tell you??? Brampton Mike 8)
You went through an early puberty???
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

bstout wrote:Pissing off the side of your stand does not bother deer!

I've always liked this one. When you simply walk through the woods without rubber it takes your scent about seven hours to dissipate. Raw human sewage takes about twenty one days to go away. It always makes me smile when a guy goes out and sprinkles a few drops of doe in heat onto a leaf and then hangs his log over the edge of his stand and drains a half pint of his own juice. That'll bring in the big ones.
I'd like to know exactly how a deer knows the difference between human urine and any other type? I read an article detailing a study about this very topic........said a deer would have to actually see a human whiz at least 20 times in order to equate the smell with humans.........saw another article where they tested different scents in active scrapes.......human urine in the scrape was just as attractive to deer (determined by the number of buck visits) as buck urine taken from a deer in another area......

I passed a small spike earlier this season.......he came in and stood under my stand for 5 minutes.....sniffing where I had just taken a leak....... he "refreshed" the area with his own urine......twice! Had an 11 point walk under my stand during muzzleloader season.......he stepped in leaves wet with urine I had "deposited" less than 30 minutes earlier......I let him walk and he never knew I was there.......I passed up more than 30 shots at deer under 25 yards this season......every one of those deer could easily smell where I had whizzed........not one of those deer showed any sign of alarm.......many folks believe that fresh urine attracts deer.....I can't say it really attracts them, but I CAN say, in my experience, it doesn't bother them!

Oh yeah........I killed this buck last year ( 20" inside spread, a very large buck for this area)........he came in downwind of my stand and I shot him at 35 yards......I had taken a leak out of the stand just minutes earlier.......yep, it sure bothers the deer......... :D

Here's another good size buck that was taken at 25 yards with my Exocet.......my urine didn't seem to bother him either......but a Wasp sure did! :lol:

I think the old wive's tale is that human urine spooks deer!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I also believe that urine is urine to a deer.

One of the bigger bucks I have killed followed my trail to my stand. On my boots I had FOX URINE..

I know numerous hunters that use their own urine to freshen up scrapes..It works as good as the store bought stuf and a LOT cheaper...
Woody Williams

decee

Post by decee »

While gun hunting in Muskoka, I remember depositing a log and just covering it over with leaves.
I shot 3 deer last year within 30 yds of the deposit on differnet days.

I have another story that involves squirrels if you want
stump

Post by stump »

funny thing about old wives tales is that some of them are based on facts that have either been distorted or forgotten over time, or never truly understood, then or now. For example, the following comes from a Readers Digest Q & A on wives tales, and relates to the red sky at night tale.

Q: "Red sky at night, sailors’ delight. Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning." Is this true?

A: Unlike many sayings, the Red Sky prophecy appears to have some basis in reality, although explanations vary. Here’s one, for what it’s worth: In mid-latitude locations storm systems typically move west to east. A red sunrise means light is shining on clouds to the west, and sailing is clear to the east. Clouds moving from the west mean a storm is coming. But a red sky at night means the sun is shining on clouds to the east, and conditions are clear to the west.

Post by Guest »

During the rut you can get away with just about anything. Bucks throw all their caution to the wind and start thinking with the little head. A hunter who can fool a big bucks eyes, ears and nose when the rut is not on has more savvy than a buck killed in the middle of the rut.

Many, many longtime professional archery hunters disagree with you gentleman. Dave Holt has an excellent manual called Balanced Bowhunting and Chuck Adams also has written many manuals. He also clearly states peeing in the woods is a huge mistake.

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/s/h ... s_FHN.html
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

I read the article at the link......sounds about like every other article written by outdoor writers.......I dismissed it when he encouraged the use of "scent loc" suits.......there is an article floating around, written by a scientist that works for NASA in carbon filteration.....he explains why, from a scientific standpoint, that these carbon suits are a bunch of hype..... then, the author of the article recommends "Whenever possible while walking to your stand, step into piles of deer droppings. This will help cover your scent trail."......while it can't really hurt, stepping into piles of deer droppings will do very little to "cover your scent"........it has been proven that deer, as well as dogs, detect human scent trails by smelling the microscopic skin particles that we all lose constantly.......

Think about it........drug dogs can and have located very small quantities of drugs sealed in plastic and submerged in tanks containing diesel fuel.....although I don't believe a deer has quite the same capacity for detecting scent as a canine, I believe they are close.........this being the case, how could stepping in a pile of deer droppings on the way to the stand possibily "cover your scent"???

This article, and I suspect the others you mentioned, all share a common fault.......they are written by people who really have very little technical knowledge..............let's face it, most outdoor writers just repeat what they have heard......they are not necessarily experts in anything except telling stories and most of them aren't all that good at story telling! :lol:
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

bstout wrote:To me when several experts all agree on a given topic I find it hard to imagine they're all wrong.
I agree, however, to my knowledge, none of the people you mentioned (Dave Holt, Chuck Adams, etc) are experts in how animals detect and use scent.........they are, at best, expert hunters. So, their advice about scent is based on their opinion and experience, not necessarily scientific fact. I would value these guy's opinions more if I could separate what they really believe and what they are trying to sell!
bstout wrote:I'm not big on magazine articles myself. Text books are a different story. Some of the information is subjective and the author normally mentions that it's just his opinion. There are other times when the author's remarks are carved in granite. Magazine articles in my opinion are out to "WOW" you and sell you something (Checkbook thing again) while text books are for the most part reliable information.
I'm sure you are speaking in generalizations when you mention textbooks, because there are many textbooks that a FULL of errors! However, let's say that you are correct in assuming that textbooks tell the real story......have you ever seen a textbook that says human urine spooks deer??? :lol:

You try to dismiss my and other's experiences by saying "During the rut you can get away with just about anything. Bucks throw all their caution to the wind and start thinking with the little head."........I can assure you, my experience with deer and human urine includes more than bucks during the rut......in fact, most of the passed up shots from this year, that I wrote about in my earlier post, were does, not bucks.......I mentioned the big bucks I killed to show that my experience does not simply consist of does and small bucks. I didn't mention it earlier, but, on the way to my stand one afternoon this season, I took a leak in a scrape and later that evening I watched a buck work the scrape.........maybe I just have magical urine?? :lol: By the way, since Oct. 1 of this year, I have deer hunted about 45 days including 25 or 30 days from the last week of Oct. to the first week of Dec.(rut).....many of those days I hunted both morning and evening......so you could say I have spent some time in the woods to observe deer behavior.............

Bottom line, you do what works for you and I'll do what works for me....and both of us will be happy!

PS: Here is an interesting article about scent loc suits......

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/cor ... _suits.htm