Sunday morning shrapnel

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

canoe13

Sunday morning shrapnel

Post by canoe13 »

Was up early today so figured on tinkering with my bows after shooting yesterday my Matrix 355 string needed to be tightened up. I was using an Excal. stringer and a Cross rope cocker with the rail wheels. Had just finished my second adjustment and was letting the bow back down when BLAM. Pieces of black plastic richocet around the living room. Both the stringer ends and the hooks on the cocker were shattered. Luckily nothing else was damaged. I don't know which part broke first. I used a slave string to get my bow restrung. Time for an upgrade.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
longbow joe

Re: Sunday morning shrapnel

Post by longbow joe »

Wow .....just so your ok. Who needs coffee! I had a non excalibur one get a crack in it .Thankfully l noticed it before hand . Didnt yours have the metal reinforced innards ? Im always buying new cockers after the string gets old ...their gone no re-roping for me
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Have heard some horror stories about non-Excal rope cockers. Glad everyone is ok. I bet the "Pucker Factor" was a WAY up about that time though! :shock:
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

flightattendant100 wrote:Have heard some horror stories about non-Excal rope cockers. Glad everyone is ok. I bet the "Pucker Factor" was a WAY up about that time though! :shock:
Hopefully the pucker was fully engaged before it was too late. :shock:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't ya jus love thos unexpected bm moments :lol: Sure glad yer ok n hope the room n contents faired as well
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Years ago I found a great price (compared to Excalibur's) on a rope cocking aid. (Forget the brand, but it was a popular crossbow manufacturer at the time.)
It worked fine for a few years, then one evening I was cocking the Phoenix before climbing up in the stand and as you said - BLAM!

I had the two handles in my hands and after the shock subsided I found I had a rope with 2 broken hooks on it. Thankfully no damage to me or the Phoenix. :D

Came home, got online and ordered an Excalibur brand cocking aid!

Lesson learned. :wink:
wabi
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I remember the first time I tried to use the rope cocker to uncock my bow while in my living room. I didn't notice that 1 of the hooks had come off the string because I didn't keep tension on it. As soon as I took the safety off and pulled the trigger,the string ripped the rope handle from my hand and hit my left thumb. Sounded like a gun shot going off. Blood all over the ceiling and my thumb burning. Was afraid to look because I thought my thumb was cut off. When I finally looked,my thumb was still there but had multiple breaks. Had to go to the hospital. Left thumb is still messed up. Sad thing is I'm left handed. Now I only use an arrow while outside to discharge my cocked bow.