Bad Weather Deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Bad Weather Deer

Post by Shakky »

I got up Sunday morning and it was pouring rain and windy as hell but I thought it may die down so I took a chance and went out anyway. Drove to the farm and waited for the weather to break. Well it didn't so after an hour or so I figure I'd drope some stuff off at the shed and head home. I'm heading for the shed and I see two doe's and a buck standing in the middle of the field. I would have bet money the deer wouldn't have been moving in that weather. As I continue on to the back field there are three doe's and a huge buck, again standing in the middle of the field. There was no way you could take a shot with a bow in this weather so we just watched them and tried to identify the buck. We scared up two additional doe's bedded down in some tall grass. So we saw nine deer in total. The most we have seen at one time since we started hunting the farm and we saw them in the worst weather. From now on when hunting with a gun I hunt in all weather!
dsr

Post by dsr »

I think that deer like shitty weather. Maybe they have learned that hunters like good weather. If you know your area a bit of wind can be a big advantage for you.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

My brother, who is THE best deer hunter I've ever seen, and a long time student of the species, says they don't like to lay down in rainy weather & prefer to move. He proved it on a hunt with him 2 weeks ago on his place in TN. I always stayed in on rainy days, but never again, unless it's hurricane force winds as well.
Greg