sproulman wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:01 pm
deleted
sproulman wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:01 pm
deleted

The heat is not just affecting the deer too :lol: :lol: just kidding
See what LYMES does to ya :cry: :cry:
Sorry didn't know that Lymes can do that. Never meant to put anyone down.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
GMVT

Re: Is modern hunting actually easier?

Post by GMVT »

Hunting is harder, but not because of all the latest gimmicks and toys. At the end of the day, your average deer is still more in tune with their surroundings and smarter in the woods than your average hunter, with all the latest equipment money can buy, will ever be. The reasons it's harder...in my humble opinion...are changes to demographics and culture. A hunter pushed out of a piece of woods by development or posting is a hunter pushed into an ever shrinking amount of open land. From the carpet bagger buying up southern leases to turn it into a business plan, to the developer out west turning your favorite go to spot into a housing tract, to the investors group buying vast northwoods timber tracts traditionally open to generations of hunters, stopping open access, to even our own buying small parcels and having anyone that dares step onto it arrested. It all contributes to making hunting harder. I saw a posted sign in Maine years ago that to this day is my favorite: "If your land is posted, stay the hell off of mine".
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I totally agree with above. In fact in Ontario some areas are getting the local government to implement no discharge of firearms bylaws. Its a good way to end hunting for the anti's without even attacking hunting. If you can't discharge a firearm which inludes bows how do you hunt. That plus what was said I have lost a few spots where the old farmers sold to people from the city and they don't agree with hunting so more access lost. Ya its harder but because of access not gadgets etc.
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

Good thread, I think hunting overall is tougher in the high pressure areas only because people tend to do the same thing. Deer start to pattern people to a greater degree then years past. If you don't close the deal on a nice buck during the early season it seems to take much longer now with the higher number of people moving through the woods stinking things up. The baiting issue can mix things up as well, in my home state I really believe if it wasn't for a bag of corn there would be an awful lot of people with empty freezers. The latest developments in equipment has made better killers but not better hunters.
Have crossbows will travel
janesy

Post by janesy »

Pintail wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 am
Good thread, I think hunting overall is tougher in the high pressure areas only because people tend to do the same thing. Deer start to pattern people to a greater degree then years past. If you don't close the deal on a nice buck during the early season it seems to take much longer now with the higher number of people moving through the woods stinking things up. The baiting issue can mix things up as well, in my home state I really believe if it wasn't for a bag of corn there would be an awful lot of people with empty freezers. The latest developments in equipment has made better killers but not better hunters.
Yes. I think that sums it up.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Rambeaux

Post by Rambeaux »

Pintail wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 am
Ditto
Micro 355/XV530IR scope/8pt flemish/DB Killers and bumpers/Slick Trick 150's/16.5" Zombie's