Favorite broadheads?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Re: Favorite broadheads?

Post by hunter with MS »

I had to take a minute to figure out what a fixpanable broadhead was . I think they are called hybrid I am using one from Muzzy called Trocar HBX hybrid they are deadly accurate have not had a chance to see what they will do on game yet . My other broadhead is the Muzzy trocar before that was muzzy crosskill.
gmo

Post by gmo »

rage hypodermic 100gr
nap thunderhead 100gr
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I've tried many different heads through the years...fixed and expandable.
I keep coming back to my spitfires because they just plain work. 8)
Shoot to poi of my field tips and do nasty things to critters on impact. :shock:
I took a doe last week, the spitfire busted through both shoulders and the deer didn't make it fifty yards.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I have been thinning the heard lately.
6 Muzzy Trocar fixed blade
3 Ram Cat fixed blade.
3 Nap Killzone 2 blade chisel tip.
6 Nap Spitfire 3 blade.

The Muzzy Trocar are 1" high at 30 yards which creates no problem..
The rest have the same poi as my target tips :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I normally use spitfires but l had bought 5 packs of excalibur exact cut broadheads at an estate sale this year .they performed perfect on the buck l just shot no rubber bands . (Nice sharp compact head with a sharp point ...American made also)
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:04 pm
I normally use spitfires but l had bought 5 packs of excalibur exact cut broadheads at an estate sale this year .they performed perfect on the buck l just shot no rubber bands . (Nice sharp compact head with a sharp point ...American made also)
I put one of those through a sheet of 5/8 plywood at least a half a dozen times with zero I'll effect. In fact after a couple hits the expanded blades were so dull they stopped the head from penetrating 100% and essentially took all of the energy themselves. Pretty impressive for an aluminum ferrule that doesn't look all that tough. They are a good head.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

georgiaboy wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 pm
I've tried many different heads through the years...fixed and expandable.
I keep coming back to my spitfires because they just plain work. 8)
Shoot to poi of my field tips and do nasty things to critters on impact. :shock:
I took a doe last week, the spitfire busted through both shoulders and the deer didn't make it fifty yards.
did a poor job helping my son track his buck earlier this year & was worried about tracking when on my own so when i shot a doe last week 1/4ing slightly away at 15' it was with a 125gr spitfire maxx. entry was about mid height a tad far back but exit was low right behind the opposite leg. kept expecting to find a dead deer "just up ahead" but she went at least 125'. much better blood trail but she went farther than our boltcutter kills did. still not sure why.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Spitfires are very accurate BUT they are not perfect on deer..I wait for broadside shot BUT many do not..So the spitfires are not great on angle shots....Many are going back to fix points as they are making them smaller and they fly great..Much better on angle shots you would not believe the hunters that wounded and lost deer this year with Spitfire points ...All were angle shots ..
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I like the ones with the chisel tips over the ones with cut on contact. I feel they do a much better job on angle shots and don't glance of the ribs as much. I haven't had any problems yet.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I keep going back to NAP Thunderheads. Big, sharp, and consistent. Every deer i shot with one, I recovered, and it hit where I aimed. Muzzy Trokar fixed are also high on my list. When it comes to mechanical heads, hard to beat these 3 in my opinion, Cabelas Lazer Strike, NAP Spitfire, NAP Shockwave. All have done well for me over the years, and for $20 for the Cabelas & Shockwaves, hard to beat! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Oh, my favorite is one covered in blood & some hair.
There are no wrong answers, and I try new stuff all the time, this I can't explain! :lol: :lol: If it hits where you aim every time, opens without incident, or for the fixed heads, leaves a nasty trail of blood, it will do the job. I really need to quit trying stuff because I found some I like that work. Don't think the other ones are better if you find one that works, stick with it unless they change it, or the price is ridiculous. There really are no other reasons to switch in my honest opinion. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Rambeaux

Post by Rambeaux »

Slick Trick 150 xbow. I have yet to put em to the test but the standards worked well in my vertical bow (that I do not miss one bit). They fly like lasers out of my micro 355.
Micro 355/XV530IR scope/8pt flemish/DB Killers and bumpers/Slick Trick 150's/16.5" Zombie's
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

My favorite broadheads are fixed blade types consisting of 125 gn Stainless 3 blade G5 Montecs and 125 gn Magnum 4 Blade Slick Tricks. :wink: Both hit within an inch of each other for me when sighted in clear out to 40 yards when matched with 16 1/2" BEE's Blazer vanes, Ignitor nocks, and 92 gn brass inserts @ 430-431 gns. ( total wt. ) from either my Micro 335 or Micro 355 models..
I love the fact that the stainless G5 is effected far less by rust than most others here in the Pacific NW where it rains alot during the late season in Nov. and Dec.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

The Excalibur boltcutters have did me good. But I was trying out The Wyverns 330 matrix arrows this year and needed a 100gr broadhead. So I went with the 100gr Wac em crossbow broadhead. Shot a really big body 8 pt and it only went about 20yds. So now I like the Wac Em :mrgreen:
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

Wow rage got no love here. I'm gonna give my rage broad heads a serious test this weekend, I'm not too sure if its because of price or maybe most on here just plain old know what works and what doesn't

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones