custom arrows question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

Re: custom arrows question

Post by bobcat »

ya if i got it figured right i should be around 380 with 100 and 405 with 125. i will see which shoots better. right now i am at 375ish with the quills and 125 spitfire and so far they are deadly on deer but i (try to) use it for bear also so thinking of stepping up to the heavier side and going to a good fixed blade broadhead.
dropzone

Post by dropzone »

steven in England wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:08 pm
I would recommend the plastic nocks.
Black Eagle aluminium nocks are the hardest available aircraft grade 7075T6 and are way harder than the Excalibur rail. If you shoot a lot they really wear the rail down. The aluminium used is also way harder than the nocks used in Excaliburs arrows. I always use the plastic now for this reason as I have seen the wear first hand on my M380 and BD
If you don't mind me asking but what exactly are you seeing using Aluminum black Eagle nocks?
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I would think the rail is painted camo and that’s why it is showing wear! I’d like to know too?
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Maybe the Diablo's or the Quill's aluminum rear nocks rub the rail,but I shoot a lot of Zombie Slayers with the aluminum rear nocks FROM BLACK EAGLE, and they are smaller in diameter than the shafts, and have not removed any coating / paint / etc. from any rail on my 6 Excalibur Bows. Maybe I'm just lucky. 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Here are some prepped shafts before gluing vanes on. I'll get an exact measurement this weekend, but I think the inserts are .006" smaller in diameter than the shafts at .343". I have a few members using these, maybe they will chime in about rail wear, etc. So far for me none issue. :wink:

Image[url=https://postimg.org/image/l7v3p9q1x/]Image

Image[url=https://postimg.org/image/48m5a0eud/]Image
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Thanks Dan! That was the only thing that I could think of as far as rail issues. Thanks for the measurements and facts! What color fletchings are going on those sweet looking arrows? Lol
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I stand corrected, the inserts are exactly the same size as the shafts. I don't have any of the other brands components to measure.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

bigbowman wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:53 pm
Thanks Dan! That was the only thing that I could think of as far as rail issues. Thanks for the measurements and facts! What color fletchings are going on those sweet looking arrows? Lol
These were made some time ago, but I have mine. Fusion Vanes, all Orange.

Image[url=https://postimg.org/image/tgbbmefj9/]Image
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 pm
Maybe the Diablo's or the Quill's aluminum rear nocks rub the rail,but I shoot a lot of Zombie Slayers with the aluminum rear nocks FROM BLACK EAGLE, and they are smaller in diameter than the shafts, and have not removed any coating / paint / etc. from any rail on my 6 Excalibur Bows. Maybe I'm just lucky. 8)

i wish i would have read this earlier. I think i will order some alum knocks from blackeagle. the plastic ones that came with my custom arrows are 10gr
my nocturnal lighted nocks are 40gr. i dont want to practice with the lighted nocks all the time so i need to get my weights the same. so i guess going with a heavier threaded nock is my best option and i can use the set screw in the nock trick to get my weights right on. when i ordered them i wasnt going to use lighted nocks so i got plastic because they are cheaper and the mention of the rail wear.
Are the alum nocks from black eagle threaded?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Don't sweat over a perfect weight match too much. I did some shooting trying to throw things off to wrap my feeble mind around arrow changes. It started simply enough. I use Ignitor Nocks, and the lighted sticks weigh 5 grains. OK, game on. I took the lights out, no changes out to 50 yards in POI. I then swapped out the field points from 100 to 125 grains, the POI change was less than 1/4" at 30 yards, less than 3/8" at 40, and just over 1/2" at 50 yards. Off a bench, matrix 330 used for this test. I recommend people try this exerciser in the off season for themselves. Education is free in some instances folks! :wink:

Yes, they are threaded. I use the T-Handle from Excalibur to pull them from my target when I range shoot. Nothing works better in my opinion to preserve the vanes. I really like the reflective wraps too. No batteries to worry about, zero concerns of them failing too. Yes, if buried in the ground, you're sunk.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

a few grains wouldnt bother me but 30 seems like much esp. on the back. i think i will try to get them the same or at least closer. maybe it wont mean crap other than piece of mind but why spend the money on custom arrows to be 30 gr off. im not even sure i will like the lighted nocks yet. i have never shot one.
i like the threaded nocks on the quills. i made a puller rather than buying one. but same deal.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yes, changing the weight in the back has a bigger impact on POI than the front. Sounds like you have a solid plan! :wink:
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i just ordered a dozen alum ones from black eagle. we will what happens. if i dont like the nocturnal lighted nocks i will go back to the plastic to get better foc but if i like them i will be able to match things up with the alum ones.
thanks for all the help guys.