TELL ME SOMETHING

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

joel0711

TELL ME SOMETHING

Post by joel0711 »

Thinking about going to openn sights for weight savings----Can someone who has experience with them tell me something on them.....mac shot would be 30-35 yds.....tn.eoods thick during bow
gerald strine

Re: TELL ME SOMETHING

Post by gerald strine »

Go to a red dot scope much smaller and lighter than a recital scope but more precise than open sights.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

ive played around with the fiber optic sites that came with a few of my stock excaliburs of the past. plenty accurate. i like the micro red dots for saving weight better though.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Have you considered a reflex sight? I just got a Vortex Venom Red Dot Top Load, 3 MOA Dot and it weights 1.1 ounces.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
catclr

Post by catclr »

Boo wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:37 pm
Have you considered a reflex sight? I just got a Vortex Venom Red Dot Top Load, 3 MOA Dot and it weights 1.1 ounces.
I used a reflex sight some years back on my shotgun for turkey, and after going through one spring season, and spooking birds because they saw a glare off the lens, I got rid of it.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Red Dot sights are Great! Three important things to always keep in mind... The lower the "brightness" setting the sharper the dot will be. Especially at longer range... Keep dry, when hunting in wet weather! And, always carry a spare battery with you! Tru-Glo makes some of the best Red-Dots... Good luck.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
wabi

Post by wabi »

The peep & fiber optic sights on the old models were just fine for hunting. You still didn't want to shoot more than one arrow at a spot when sighting in unless you were willing to buy more arrows. :lol:
The only problem I had was a combination of old eyes and the failure of the FO front sight to gather light inside a ground blind. Without that glowing dot I was in trouble. :oops: :lol: :lol:
wabi
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shot a few deer early in my "crossbow career" with a peep and single sight pin. Dead on at 20 and "top of the back" at 30-35. I think you would be just fine....but wabi makes a good point about light gathering....the peep will make it a bit harder at dawn/dusk...but no different than a vert bow with a peep and sight pins.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

the ole tried and true excalibur peep sight is easy light accurate - basically like a 3 post sight
mine zeroed center 30 top 20 bottom like 40

available at woodys sporting goods - they also have a fiber open sights for crrossbows - SEE ALL

might have to copy paste

http://woodyssportinggoods.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1419_1422

from archives search a 2010 - adapted peep sight

where guy put fiber optics on the posts

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

I got the 4 dot xbow red/green dot truglo reflective scope -- yes the front is like a mirror- never really noticed it spooking the deer.

major downside - scope filled with snow easily while walking thru branches heavy from fresh snowfall.

any kind of moisture will distort the dots so bad can't see them - had to dry scope lens several times with paper tissue- even under edge where dots start - kind of a hassle - I found myself sitting in stand and cleaning scope and hoping huge shooter doesn't walk by- rain drops dripping from trees didn't help either.

I tied a handkerchief over after that - taking extra effort to cover keep dry - great overall other than wet weather problems - if its sighted in - it'll do job as long as do yours.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I hunt turkey in the spring all over the us and Ontario I use a reflex sight and can't say I have ever had bird spook from it.