2018 ATA Show

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Eck

Re: 2018 ATA Show

Post by Eck »

I would find a “walking deer” aiming point at each range MUCH more useful than a 10 or 20 MPH offset personally.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
Normous

Post by Normous »

newbie wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 am
I got a chance to cock and shoot the new 460 scorpyd. It's a BEAST. I could only cock it with the short rope and then it was just...... the long rope ended up over my head :shock:
Man that bow is smooth. Trigger is amazing. I think that's what you need Derrick.
Too funny Mike, I was so amazed at the Scorpyd Aculeus 460 (FPS) that I shot at the ATA that the new all black floor model came home with me. :mrgreen:

This morning I shot it into my new Bulldog Super Target that sat frozen at -10 C in my truck overnight and the arrow became almost ONE in the target. The target and new arrow addition sat unthawing in my house for half a day and it still took two men ten minutes of muscling to remove it, The center of the target and field tip was still frozen. This target weights close to 100 pounds and it will probably take 24 hours to completely unthaw.

Note to myself - DO NOT SHOOT THIS BOW INTO COLD TARGETS.

On another note, the included crono paperwork stated that my 460 Aculeus printed 465 FPS with a 400 grain arrow under ideal conditions at Scorpyd.

Mike, it really wasn't too bad to cock it with the long cocker, in fact I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. :mrgreen:

This bow is extremely fast!!!
Last edited by Normous on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

How is the "shootability/recoil" of that 460 Aculeus?
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 pm
newbie wrote:
I got a chance to cock and shoot the new 460 scorpyd. It's a BEAST. I could only cock it with the short rope and then it was just...... the long rope ended up over my head :shock:
Man that bow is smooth. Trigger is amazing. I think that's what you need Derrick.
Too funny Mike, I was so amazed at the Scorpyd Aculeus 460 (FPS) that I shot at the ATA that the new all black floor model came home with me. :mrgreen:

This morning I shot it into my new Bulldog Super Target that sat frozen at -10 C in my truck overnight and the arrow became almost ONE in the target. The target and new arrow addition sat unthawing in my house for half a day and it still took two men ten minutes of muscling to remove it, The center of the target and field tip was still frozen. This target weights close to 100 pounds and it will probably take 24 hours to completely unthaw.

On another note, the included crono paperwork stated that my 460 Aculeus printed 465 FPS with a 400 grain arrow under ideal conditions at Scorpyd.

Mike, it really was to bad to cock it with the long cocker, in fact I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. :mrgreen:

:)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.

Post by newbie »

Normous wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 pm
newbie wrote:

Mike, it really was to bad to cock it with the long cocker, in fact I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. :mrgreen:

Norm I couldn't think of a more appropriate bow for you. You deserve it congrats bud.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Norm congrats on yer sharp lookin new crossbow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Norm, that's truly a priceless picture. I love it! Congratulations on what appears to be an awesome bow. I hope you're weather warms up some, I can't wait for the report....and maybe I'll be adding a new stallion in the stable! :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

whatevers best for you and works for you

99.9 % of the time if u can't range it fairly accurately --chances are you shouldn't take the shot.

I'm guessing the majority of the crossbow hunters aren't stalk hunters - sure you may happen upon a deer coming or going to your stand or want to take that quick shot

I have never had a stand/ blind where I didn't spend time -usually with someone elses range finger- while setting up the stand -take the time to range different distances to objects in my shooting lanes. so ranging a deer isa lot easier .

dail - seems simple enough turn to known yardage

shoot - with just use a single red or green illuminated dot - doesn't get much simpler

- that fancy speed dial the scope sits on does the same thing - those crossbones scope turn turrets etc.

all those dots - lines taking up the view in the scope - not what i'm looking for .

anyway I hope everyone finds the one scope that makes their hunting enjoyable and successful without breaking the bank to do it!
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Down where my son sits with the Matrix I went down in the off season and physically measured from the stand to a number of trees. Then I painted the yardages on the trees. So it is easier for him to figure out the yardage with out him having to range them...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly