To our American Friends

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntman

To our American Friends

Post by huntman »

I don't know if this has ever been disscused but my understanding was that crossbows where illegal for the purpose of hunting in the US. But after reading many posts from the gents south of the border i am happy to see you guys can enjoy hunting with crossbows and not being forced to use a compond. Is it only legal in some states??
popeye

Post by popeye »

Thats correct, In most states it is still illegal to hunt with a crossbow
during archery season. My state, Alabama just legalized it this year, and the wheelies are still up in arms. Just as when compounds were legalized for archery season in the 60s, they will calm down when they see that it is not the end of everything held dear by them.Maybe at some point, crossbows will be legal in all 50 states.
Regards, Ray
Cousneddy

Post by Cousneddy »

As of this season, 2004-2005, crossbows are legal during the general archery season in Alabama. That means roughly 3 1/2 months of crossbow hunting. Let's see, that's about 110 days, with a 2 deer a day limit, one buck, one doe. :D
BOB VANDRISH

To Our American Friends

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Even though I live in Ontario,I have hunted Vermont,PA,and NY state.
I can tell you that PA has an early muzzleloader,a rifle,and a late Flintlock season,where crossbows can be used.
I think that Vermont also has a crossbow season,tied in with their archery season.
Not having hunted NY for a couple of seasons,I am not sure what the status is there.
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Here in Arkansas crossbows have been legal during all seasons for many years. If I am not mistaken, Arkansas was one of the first states to allow their use. We have a very nice four and a half months to hunt as well.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
Digger

Post by Digger »

not only are xbows illegal to hunt with in some states , there are provinces where the xbow is not a legal hunting weapon mainly in Atlantic Canada. Heres a list , state by state and province by province.

Digger

http://www.horizontalbowhunter.com/news/news.asp?ID=53
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
wabi

Post by wabi »

The laws vary greatly from state to state, but I'm lucky to be in one where the crossbow has been included in legal "archery" equipment for years - Ohio. When I started having shoulder problems and could not shoot my trad bows I just picked up a crossbow and continued to hunt. Well....... almost :D I tried a compound model and had given up on the crossbow as a hunting tool, but then I tried an Excalibur and found they are indeed real hunting equipment! I can use the crossbow for about any game legal with archery. The only exception I can think of offhand is migratory birds which is federal controlled, and crossbows are not legal, but longbows (vert bows) are. But I never did much duck hunting with a bow anyway :lol: One mallard, just so I could say I had shot one with a longbow.
wabi
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Woods it's been legal here in Md with a disable permit for 23 years now and I have been hunting with a crossbow for 22 years now. I hope to take a Moose up at Pontiac Lodge next year with mine. http://www.pontiaclodgeinc.com/banner.htm These are friends of mine and a great outfitter.
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

i have a disabled lifetime permit here in pa to use my 2004 EXOMAG
Woody Williams

Indiana...............

Post by Woody Williams »

It is legal in all of archery season for a person with a handicapped permit.

It is also legal for ANYONE in the late archery season - usally about December 5th through the first Sunday in January.

It is legal for ANYONE to hunt turkeys with during the Spring and Fall seasons.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
huntman

Re: To our American Friends

Post by huntman »

bstout wrote: We have some of the same myths about Canada floating around. Like "If you live in Canada you can't own a rifle" as an example.

I'm not sure what you mean about being forced to use a compound. I own many traditional bows and use to be able to shoot them accurately also. My shoulder has gone bad and now I have a crossbow permit. Their are many hunting situations where a compound is far superior to a crossbow. An example would be shooting from a treestand behind you without standing up. Another would be the ability to get a second shot off before the animal vacates the area. Crossbows aren't exactly rapid fire arms but more like the muzzleloaders of archery.
It is legal for canadian to own rifles :o

When i say forced i don't mean it in a negative way, i just didn't thnink you had an option. You are 100% right about compond bows, i'm actually thinking of buying on for next years season. I will still keep my exomag but at least i can try both for a change.
Chairman

Post by Chairman »

I'm not sure when crossbows became legal for disabled hunters during the archery season in Missouri, but I've had a permit since 1996. I applied for the permit, when I moved here.

Also, anyone can use a crossbow during the firearm season.