pros and cons of shooting longer arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

pros and cons of shooting longer arrows

Post by hunter with MS »

I am looking into picking up a micro right now I hunt and shoot the matrix and a Grz2 which shoots 18 inch arrows . What are the pros and cons of shoot them from a micro besides them hang out over the stirrup ? I shoot Zombie Slayers .
janesy

Re: pros and cons of shooting longer arrows

Post by janesy »

No cons really. If I only wanted 1 arrow, Id probably. Cut them all to 17 and be a happy guy.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

My way of thinking is that the proper bolt length is one that takes the bolt with broad head of choice to the far side of stirup but not past it, I do not want the bolt sticking past the stirup ware it will cause issues propping bow up and getting caught on stuff . and most important you do not want to be able to get a foot in the stirup when loaded you could have an issue decocking if you get distracted.
A longer bolt is slightly slower , but I like the extra weight for penetration, forgiveness and sound reduction.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Living in WV, I have one serious pro. The state of WV decided when they allowed crossbows during all archery seasons to add a ridiculous rule that arrows have to be at least 18 inches in length. I did not know this when I bought my Micro and have all my arrows cut to 16. I normally hunt in VA where arrow length isn't regulated. But if I do happen to go archery hunting at the WMA just down the street, I have to take my ExoMax. I may eventually get another set of arrows cut to 18" so I can use my Micro here as well.

Personally, I'm going to lean on my state representatives and provide them some education so they can eliminate this useless rule.

This may not be an issue in your state or where you hunt, but it is something to consider when cutting things shorter.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

At extended ranges, longer arrows are more accurate IMHO. The arrow sticking out past the stirrup is a non-factor for vertical bows, so it shouldn’t be a huge problem. I cut mine to sit just inside the stirrup when a broad head and illuminated nock are installed.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

racking up points wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:10 pm
At extended ranges, longer arrows are more accurate IMHO. The arrow sticking out past the stirrup is a non-factor for vertical bows, so it shouldn’t be a huge problem. I cut mine to sit just inside the stirrup when a broad head and illuminated nock are installed.

x2
This also eliminates the possibility of un-cocking an arrow through your foot.
I have never done this myself but have heard a couple horror stories from people here.... :shock:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
bobbotron

Post by bobbotron »

BrotherRon wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:24 pm
x2
I have never done this myself but have heard a couple horror stories from people here.... :shock:
I was going to post up mentioning the same! The idea is that if your arrow tip is into the stirrup area, you'll probably kick it out if you ever put your foot in there to de cock the crossbow.
Stock Matrix GRZ2
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The only negative to shooting an arrow sticking out past the stirrup, as mentioned, is that you can't rest your loaded crossbow on the stirrup when in your blind or stand. For me, that was a real pain in the backside. If you're okay with it, your 18" arrows will perform perfectly.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Two major reasons I keep my broadhead inside of the stirrup is that the arrow can be misaligned when walking in the brush and it can slice a popup blind. Both situations have happened to me in the past.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I had my arrows just inside the stirrup. Then I put a Dr. Stirrup on the bow..... the best laid plans!
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I like 18” from my matrix. I tried shorter and they seemed louder and larger groups. What really did it for me was the interchangeability. I can shoot 150 gr Sonics or 125 gr Grizzlys or 100 gr BAs and they all hit same at 20 yds. The shorter, lighter bolts did not group all those heads together.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

For the same fletching......a longer arrow should be slightly more accurate than a shorter one as the fletching will have an easier time stabilizing it. The further away from the center of the arrow the fletching is...the more control in can impart to the arrow.

I use the same setup for my Vortex and Micro. Zombie SLayer shafts, 110gr brass insert, 125gr BH, 2"Trueflight feathers, Lumenoks. The only difference is shaft length. 20" for the Vortex and 16" for the Micro. While both setups are very accurate.....I would give the edge to the longer arrow. But none of this matters at hunting ranges.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
76chevy

Post by 76chevy »

I like the longer arrow for this reason too.
bobbotron wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:17 am
BrotherRon wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:24 pm
x2
I was going to post up mentioning the same! The idea is that if your arrow tip is into the stirrup area, you'll probably kick it out if you ever put your foot in there to de cock the crossbow.