Climbing stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Climbing stands

Post by raydaughety »

I've posted on this subject before but I was hoping that there was someone that missed the post or a newbe may be able to help me. I'm looking for a lightweight, comfortable, ( preferably with a sling seat ) climber that will hold a 300lb man. I've had a 3 level spinal fusion and I use the backbrace that they sent me home in, and the therma care but I contribute my lack of success this past season to my inability to be moble. I did purchase a ground blind that's simple to setup and break down and Tyler and I can sit in it comfortablely, however we always seem to get "scent busted" even though we are careful to be scent - free and truthfully I've never had much success from the ground but i've only sat in it 4 times. Maybe I haven't given it a fair try.

To date, I own:

1 bruttus 2man 16' ladder stand

1 Buckshot climbing stand ( I trust it because of the solid bars that wrap around the tree. I'm a little scepticle of the chains and cable type because of my weight. I sat in an API Grand Slam Mag Supreme. Very Comfortable, but once again it has the chain. Maybe I'll get used to it.

1 Ameristep outhouse blind

If anyone on the forum feels that they can help me, I would greatly appriciate it.

Thanks in advance.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

I bought a Lone Wolf climber 2 years ago with a sling seat and love it. It's quite and fast.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I just got a new Summit Viper its light,and quite, but a bit pricey.
"I hear ya Fred,
Talk to me,
yea ,
its all right
lets go hunting baby
Say Fred, you go up on that ridge
And I'll go down in the swamp
We'll get that buck"
Sliver

Re: Climbing stands

Post by Sliver »

raydaughety wrote:. I did purchase a ground blind that's simple to setup and break down and Tyler and I can sit in it comfortablely, however we always seem to get "scent busted" even though we are careful to be scent - free and truthfully I've never had much success from the ground but i've only sat in it 4 times. Maybe I haven't given it a fair try.

Ray, I can't help you out with the tree stand,, But don't give up on that ground blind... I took my wife out for a hunt first time I used the Doghouse Blind( and the wifes first outing),, Not even 2 hours and I had a Buck walk out to within 20 yards..Did'nt even get bothered by the blind, he looked a couple of times,, But no Fear.... You would not believe the Blind setup,, not the greatest ( pretty much in the open between two trees)as I was basically taking the wife out in hopes she would see some deer..

So Give the Blind another go :wink:

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Farmer John

Treestand

Post by Farmer John »

Hey Ray ,hows things. I have a steel climber that I bought yrs ago and I believe it was made in the states somewere. Called a big river or something. I,ll try and find the name. Real solid , with angle iron that goes aroung the treeheld on by welded bolts that are adjustable for tree width. I also bought an old grain wagon (v box) and put it on the side of the field with a tarp on it with holes cut in it to shoot out of,a floor with carpet and two nice chairs.A bit of feed out front for does or a decoy for bucks. Its nice on a rainy day or for muzzle loading with the wife. Farmer :D
steve

Post by steve »

Ray, I think that most climbers are only rated for 250 lbs. but you might want to check out the Tree Lounge. Don't give up hunting on the ground, I shoot most of my deer off the ground. I just can't sit in a tree once it turns really cold.
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

Steve,
I do not own a tree lounge, but I heard that they are one bear to get setup in a tree.
Riggs
I have an API grand slam that I like, but i hear they are out of commision.
I like the viper summits from what I saw of it at the hunting club.
I don't think it is rated for 300lbs though
BP

Climbing stands

Post by BP »

I cant't give you much help about the treestands but this was my first yr bow hunting and just using ground blinds I got a doe on opening day and and nice 4 point buck on 31/Dec/04. So I would not give on the ground blinds.

BP
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Sorry about the misinformation, my ground blind is an ameristep doghouse. We have a large expo coming to North Carolina called the Dixie Deer Classic. Maybe I'll find something that I can use that would work for me there. The main advantage of a ground blind for me is that my 7 year old son ( Tyler ) goes with me on almost every outing and is good at keeping quiet in the ground blind ( as long as he has his gameboy ). If I were to go to a climbing stand, we would not be able to hunt together and that's not acceptable. So I think I can buy at least 3 more doghouse blinds for less that the price of a good climber. Thanks for all the help, but by all means keep the advise coming. Thanks guys.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

I've tried a lot of climbers over the years. Going way back to the early 70's when I made my own, to improve on the Baker types being sold then. I just got a Summit Viper X4 and have to say it's the best one I've ever tried, by far. I liked it so well, I gave my previous favorite to a hunting buddy to replace his strap on, "POS". There may be others as good, but I can't imagine a better climber. Take a good book & some grub with you as you'll want to hang out up there all day :o).
Greg
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

The way the Lone Wolf is constructed it may be rated for 300 pounds. CHeck it out. As far as the Tree Lounge go's , The one I have is 19 pounds and not worth the time or money. their load , balky and cumbersum. But once up their very comfortable. If you plan all day hunts thats the way to go. But if you want quite and quick check out the ones mentioned on here.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Hey Ray

http://www.timbertalloutdoors.com/lance.htm

The Timber Tall super brute may be what you need its rated at 350lbs,
weighs 17lbs and is quiet and easy to use. I like the leveling adjustment,
you can level both top and bottom after you get up tree. I have the Baby Lite at 12 lbs. and my friends that have other climbers want to borrow mine when I'm not using it.

Tar Heel