A few questions from a newbie

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

midwest

A few questions from a newbie

Post by midwest »

I am an experienced gun hunter/shooter. I consistently shoot 2" groups with a rifle at 150 yards.

What kind of accuracy should I expect at 40 yards on a bench rest?
What are the pros and cons of a scope?
What is about your max range for deer?
Do people try to shoot sitting down(elbow on knee) out of treestands?

Thanks
Boltejector

Post by Boltejector »

Expect about 2" accuracy at 40, maybe a bit more.
Gathers light and makes things easier for you.
I would say 30 or less.
You can shoot about any which way there is.
Git er done, and make sure it is done right!
A.W

Post by A.W »

All Excal products are very accurate. It's not advisable to shoot at the same target twice without removing the first bolt.

The varizone scope allows you to dial in for whatever bolt weight you are using as well as being good for gathering light.

Forty yards would be a max shot. (each has their own max)

Shoot it anyway you want just make sure the limbs are not near any branches.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
BryanOney

Questions

Post by BryanOney »

I am new to shooting an excaliber myself.

I only shoot out to 30 yds, but I also only shoot one arrow/bolt at a time for fear of hitting my first arrow if I would shoot a 2nd bolt. I have shot other crossbows and excaliber has been the most accurate.

I like a scope on everything I shoot because when I shoot at deer I tend to get excited. If I am using an open sight I have to focas on lining up 2 things,(front and back sight) and I often do not get the job done very well. With a scope or red dot you only have to focas on the crosshair/dot, you put it where you want it and focas on a good squeeze. I have become a far better shot with the use of a scope.

My max range in the woods is probably 30 yds. 40 along an open feld. Most of the time though it seems most deer are 20 yds or closer. I cannt explain this.

I almost always shoot sitting with an elbow on my knee and as you can imagine it is very accurate. I see a deer coming, get the x-bow uo and safety off and let him have it when he gets close. I have shot deer offhand, but I am much more accurate while sitting.
MiB

Post by MiB »

Hi Midwest,
I have just spent a couple of hours shooting at 40 yards, and my three shot groups were averaging around about 1 1/2" with a couple around 1 inch. This is a new bow (exocet200), and I am really impressed. The trigger is somewhat heavier than most rifles, but shot carefully, they are surprisingly accurate.
I am using a varizone scope, easy to set up. Good clear bright image. It was recconmended to me, by more experienced members of this forum and they were right.
Max range on deer-differcult, so many varibles- generally I would have to say 30-35 yards.
Regards MiB