Working up your own "loads"...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FlyingAce

Working up your own "loads"...

Post by FlyingAce »

My father, my brothers, and I want to start getting into archery. I have an Exocet 200 that should be hereby the end of the week, Yahoo!

Anyway, since there is going to be four of us that will be shooting I was thinking that it would probably be more economical if, since we are starting out, to build up our own arrows. Initially we will probably use aluminum until we get our form and everything worked out since it is a little more inexpensive, but for hunting I would like to use a carbon shaft. My question is, what kind of tools do we need? I know that I will need a fletching tool, but what other tools and/or utilities would I need. Also, if you could direct me to some online references on how to actually do it I would be much appreciated.
Jim Mace

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." Gen. George S. Patton

Flying Ace Enterprises Inc.
[url]http://www.flyingaceinc.com[/url]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Jim lot's a ways you can go. I would get just what is needed to keep your bolts in top shape to start with. Buy 1/2doz. bolts made up, then I would recommend a Arizona -E-Z Fletch in a 4deg. offset, easy one to use.

Then you need to decide what you want too use feathers or vanes, then you need the right glue for either(vanes/feathers)

What size bolts/arrows 2213, 2216, 2219 or carbons, inserts for front and rear.Acetone to clean shafts.

If you go carbon stick with the 22 series like lazer II's same size in dia. as alum and you can use the same Arizona fletcher for both.

Let us know what you are going to shoot in bolt size and then we can help you from there. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

GaryL wrote:Jim lot's a ways you can go. I would get just what is needed to keep your bolts in top shape to start with. Buy 1/2doz. bolts made up, then I would recommend a Arizona -E-Z Fletch in a 4deg. offset, easy one to use.
I know little to nothing about this. Is this 4 deg offset a max for the slot or just one you've found to work well? Is there a difference in helical & offset? I've been using Gold Tip laser 2's. 5" vanes. any idea what the offset of these is. Mine are left hand. Are they all? I'd like to stay with it as they sure work well.
Thanks, Greg
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

brayhaven wrote:
GaryL wrote:Jim lot's a ways you can go. I would get just what is needed to keep your bolts in top shape to start with. Buy 1/2doz. bolts made up, then I would recommend a Arizona -E-Z Fletch in a 4deg. offset, easy one to use.
I know little to nothing about this. Is this 4 deg offset a max for the slot or just one you've found to work well? Is there a difference in helical & offset? I've been using Gold Tip laser 2's. 5" vanes. any idea what the offset of these is. Mine are left hand. Are they all? I'd like to stay with it as they sure work well.
Thanks, Greg
brayhaven there is a difference in helical and offset, helical has a twist while offset is just that offset..ie:offset 2deg. from the starting point insert end to 2deg. offset at end of vane from the starting point. Man thats kinda hard to explain..

Vanes are concave on the bottom and feathers are cut in left or right hand slope at the base. Under most conditions left or right hand fletch makes no difference, however some may say different. To see for your self shoot a bolt with left fletch and then one with right fletch and odds are you will not see any difference in impact.

As for the Lazer II's I have a box of factory fletched and mine are 2deg.

4deg. is the max at this time that the Arizona fletcher comes in for Xbows. I shoot feathers most of the time and will fletch at 4deg....
with vanes I only go 2deg. offset... Their are many variables with flecthing your own and thats is some of the fun for me.

Let it be known however my last batch of bolts were Lazer II's from bj...Super shooting bolts.. :D :wink:

This post is only my views on flecthing.. :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

A couple of things I would add. 2213 aluminum is very close in weight to the Gold Tip Laser 2 carbon arrow so if I was going to start with aluminum that would be where I would start. In addition, I would go with vanes over feathers. The vanes hold up a lot better in my opinion.