an arrow question?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the frenchman

an arrow question?

Post by the frenchman »

Hi to all

with a 175lbs like the exocet or the 200lbs like the old exomag
what happens to the arrow if you hit a deer on the shoulder bone or is spinal column bone at 30 yards?
does it go thrue and break the bone or its stop there and break the arrow?
what time is it? time to go hunting
GaryL

Re: an arrow question?

Post by GaryL »

the frenchman wrote:Hi to all

with a 175lbs like the exocet or the 200lbs like the old exomag
what happens to the arrow if you hit a deer on the shoulder bone or is spinal column bone at 30 yards?
does it go thrue and break the bone or its stop there and break the arrow?
If you got it in the shoulder bone I would say you have a real tracking job :!: However if you hit the spinal column it ShoulD drop right on the spot...
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

thanks GaryL

but what would happen to the arrow?
go thrue the bones or break the arrows?
what time is it? time to go hunting
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Depends on angle of hit...Most likely if you hit the shoulder straight on it would go part way thru, if the deer tried too pull it out or rubbed/hit a tree could break it, if it was of carbon.

Spinal hit innless the deer fell on it the arrow/bolt should be ok..
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

Good point Gary,

I always cringe when I hear someone talking about how they "blew" thru both shoulders with their arrow/broadhead setup.

It can be done, but is NOT the RECOMMENDED shot to take!!

I butcher my own deer, and the shoulder bone or "paddle" bone as we call it, is fairly thick near the center, imagine an inverted isoceles triangle about 10" high and 4" wide and 1/2" thick. At the botom of the triangle is the top of the front leg bone.

I've been on track jobs where the hunter "claimed" the shot was right behind the shoulder where in reality it was right in the shoulder.

Usually get decent blood for the first 100 - 150 yards...then it starts peterring out real quick...and then the deer does the magical ascension into heaven..literally. The blood just vanishes.

I love the gun hunters who say to aim for the shoulder to "put 'er down right now!!" Man..talk about wasted meat.

Anyways, aim for the lower 1/3 of the chest cavity about 6" behind the shoulder on broadside shots, and the opposite shoulder on quartering aways.

Any sharp BH thru the old "ballons" usually ceases all breathing in 7 secs. or less!!
confederate

Post by confederate »

I had a doe this past season that only gave me a shoulder shot. She was 31 yards Away. I had super confidence in the accuracy if my Exocet, so I took the Shot. I hit her perfect dead center of the shoulder and the Arrow blew thru like it was hot butter. The deer ran about 125 yards in about 8 or 10 seconds and died running. I would take the shot again if I had it.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Blew thru like hot buter....Both shoulders or angled off after passing thru the first shoulder :?:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
hunteatsleep

Post by hunteatsleep »

Allright.I'll be the one that tells him.What's up with telling someone that, its fine to shoot a deer in the shoulder.Confederate.ON PURPOSE!!!Maybe you can get away with that on those puny southern whitetails but even then you'll wound more then you will kill.If you waited for your deer to present a better broadside shot and put your broadhead BEHIND THE SHOULDER,than that deer would have only went a quarter the distance that it did.If you don't have a high percentage shot ,then just don't take it.Wounding deer makes all us hunters look bad and we don't that.P.S I know i will get flack for speaking my mind but that's alright.Everyone could use a refresher course in ethical hunting once in a while,myself in cluded.
Last edited by hunteatsleep on Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I have hit deer in the shoulder using my Exomag 200LB'ER, twice in two years. Both times the bolt only went 3/4 of the way in at a angle both times. Was lucky and did get a good artery as the bolt angled off both times towards the back of the deer. Both only traveled about 40 50 yrds and layed down and bleed out.

Blades were busted, bolts were good. Both times I screwed up and miss judged my shot or pulled the xbow. Maybe the deer steped backwards
as I shot.

I have also had two string jump and the bolt hit them in the spine...them guys droped now. No tracking, but again when hit in the spine I did not get a complete pass thru.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
hunteatsleep

Post by hunteatsleep »

I'm wasn't implying that i have never hit in the shoulder before but it was by mistake.and have seen what a shot like that will do.Thats why i wait for the good shot and even then things happen that we didn't expect(branch,wind,string jumping,misjudged yardage)are all things that would ruin a hunters day not to mention the deers if wounded.I think it's our job to educate the novice hunters with our years of experience.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

bstout wrote:The shoulder blade is a bad hit with any bow and arrow (crossbow is a bow and arrow). Anyone who hasn't made this shot before (on purpose or by accident) doesn't get out much. .
Or maybe they need more practice? or patience ...

I get out plenty [;o)]
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
confederate

Post by confederate »

Yall check out the link I have below. You will see that a Deer's lungs are also hit solidly with a shoulder shot. You will also note that the paddle bone is high and the leg bone is more forward than you may think. I have taken 85 whitails with a Compound and three with a crossbow. I consider myself an aggressive hunter . I believe in making the Shot happen whenever possible an ethical. I feel this is an ethical shot as long as you are good enough to make it. I felt good enough to make it and so I did. I would not have taken it with a compound because 31 yards would be to far for me to be pinpoint accurate. With my Exocet and a steady rest, 31 yards is like 15 yards with a compound.

http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html[/url]
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

confederate I sure stand to be corrected, but the way I look at that link of the deer anatomy is no way you can take out the lungs with a shoulder shot. However if you were in a tree stand shooting down YES I do think you could take out a lung.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

From the link you post, unless I'm not seeing straight, the lungs will be totally missed if you hit the shoulder bone which above and forward.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
confederate

Post by confederate »

I dont shoot for the shoulder bone . I did, however aim and place the shot in the center of the shoulder area which will get both lungs. A lot of hunters think if you shoot thru the shoulder there will be a lot of bone to penetrate. The pictures shows that there is no leg bone or paddle bone in the center of the shoulder. I prefer to shoot just behind the shoulder bacause on a pass thru it usually produces a better blood trail. If the arrow exits the shoulder area, the Deer;s shoulder movement while running off tends to block the exit hole. If the deer runs off very quickly you may have to really search for a blood trail.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340