WHY ME AND BAD LUCK

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chessy

WHY ME AND BAD LUCK

Post by chessy »

Last Friday at 530 pm I get a call from bass pro my tree stands are in they will hold them for 14 days (as store policy) I drive all the way up there (1hour 20 min) one way. Get to the hunting department and say I am here for my tree stand rain check. The look on there faces was priceless they say we don’t have any of those in stock I say I was called last Friday and bass pro policy was to hold them for 14 days, this is day 8 and I want my tree stands. After waiting 20 min for them to look in the back for the stands the worker comes up to me and says don’t get to upset the manager is coming and he has a 25 gift certificate for you, we don’t have your stands here, they were sold by mistake (some of the staff there cant read they had my name on them). The manager on duty comes over and hands me a 25 dollar certificate for the store and says that is all he is authorized to give me … and says he will ship the stands when they come in to my place of work no charge. Then he says I am taking it rather calmly as he thought I would be more upset after wasting my time driving all the way up there and not getting what I wanted. That is when I let him have it with both barrels, I want the store employee to write me a personal letter as to why he broke store policy by selling my stands and the store manager is to call me personally to offer me something better than 25 bucks. What would you guys do and ask for in a situation like this. 25 bucks doesn’t even cover my gas up and back let alone my time ….I need some advice before tomorrow .I could have been my last trip to bass pro. IF EXCALIBUR IS NOT COMMING TO BASS PRO THEN 4 OF THERE EMPLOYEES ARE LIARS THATS WHY I NEED TO KNOW IF THEY ARE COMMING TO THEM AS THAT IS ANOTHER QUESTION I HAVE FOR THE STORE MANAGER
dw

Post by dw »

i think what they offered was fair. they didn't have to do anything. do you ever make mistakes at work? i do. i havn't met a perfect person yet! there sure seems to be a lot of perfect people out there but like i said i have yet to meet one.
'dw"
"you gotta love it"
CaptainCharles

Post by CaptainCharles »

They did at least try to make ammends with the gift certificate, and with free shipping. But, it was a bonehead move to sell the stands. I would write a letter to the general manager of the store, and also to the corporate headquarters. Let them know that more than likely this has cost them a regular customer.

We have a large waterfowl club here in Maryland, and we reserved a table at the Fall Hunting Classic to promote our club abd recruit new members. We were there all day, and then the PR guy comes up and tells us to pack up and leave. We were told they didn't allow hunt clubs. Later we were told by a supervisor that a former member complained about us and they asked us to leave. Come to find out, this "former member" knew the president of the club and didn't like him, so he ran his mouth to the manager. This guy was never a member of our club. Anyway, 1 member had a $15,000 decoy order with Bass Pro, he walked up to the manager at the waterfowl department and canceled it, while he was on the phone to Cabela's ordering the decoys from them! Another member cancelled a $10,000 boat order, and two more members cancelled large decoy orders as well. ( OUr club is very large, 70+ members with land leases all over Maryland.) We now use Cabela's exclusivly
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

dw wrote:i think what they offered was fair. they didn't have to do anything. do you ever make mistakes at work? i do. i havn't met a perfect person yet! there sure seems to be a lot of perfect people out there but like i said i have yet to meet one.
'dw"
If it was me, and I needed the stands immediately, I would be teed-off that after driving all that way with great anticipation that I couldn't have them.

However, if you need them for the spring, considering that they will ship them at no cost to you, it means that you won't have to make an additional trip. Therefore in my opinion, althought the $25 isn't much, I would consider it an additional "good will" gesture for making you wait for your stands.

In summation, unless you were put out because you were intenting to use those stands immediately, I would say that it's a fair and reasonable solution. Like DW says, we all make mistakes.

Just my opinion.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

I bought a "demo" lawn tractor at Home Depot a few years ago for well off list price. I put a down payment down and promised to go pick it up on the weekend. When I did go back it was gone, sold to someone else.
Was I ticked off? You bet! They then delivered a brand new tractor of the same model to my doorstep the next day. So in summary, they made a mistake and then made it right. IMHO BassPro did the same for you.

You need to start looking for the silver lining that's surely hiding in your cloud of darkness. You always seem to have a pessimistic attitude and your posts have reflected that emotion many, many times.

Just my .02.

Mike
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

I agree. Seems to me you should have taken the certificate and ran. They certainly tried to make a mistake, on their part, right with you.
HAPPY HUNTING
d3ftjust

Post by d3ftjust »

Chessy, i had a similar ordeal during boxing day week... long story made short, after waiting 30min for the manager he assisted me and heard my claim (it was for duck decoys) and instead of a gift cert, he gave me 50% off on a sale priced item.. worked out alright. Not saying i wasn't dissatiesfied, but i was content to know i got a deal... Anyways, they all make mistakes, tis only human.. just have to master patience... and you're in port hope.. i'm in bay of quinte.. Cheers
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Chessy, I have asked people at Bass Pro many times why they don't carry Excalibur products and the answer is always the same. Bill T. doesn't want to deal with them becuase he has many local retailers that would get hurt or would be angry. If this is the case I don't know. I do purchase items at Bass Pro but only if I can't get them somewhere else or the price is to good to pass up. I'm not their biggest fan. That being said I think they tried to do right by you. Any time I'm faced with a situation like this I always ask myself if I would want someone to get fired over this. If the answer is no be careful how hard you push.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Take the 25 bucks and free transport. Smile and be happy! Move on. People are not bad by nature. (Repeat to yourself until you feel good.)
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I'm way late on this topic, and likely to late since you wanted to know by early today.

People do make mistakes, but....... I think in my opinion, the store should at least give you mileage for your vehicle. When the employer for whom I work for wants me to use my vehicle, I'm paid 35 cents a kilometer, that's roughly about $90.00, in your case. Plus give you at least 50% off the tree stands you thought you were buying, plus free transportation when the stands get in.

O.K., O.K. some of you might think this is steep, but think again. First Chessy shouldn't have to shoulder the mistake of an employee, mileage paid at 35 cents pays for fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle, your time is lost however. At 50% off the tree stands the store is still making money, most merchandise is marked up 100%. Therefore the store recoup's 50% of the marked up product. The customer (chessy) walks away a happy man. Now if that's the case, dollars to donuts chessy will come back over and over again, thus the store recoup's all of the money given out and more. Not to mention what a happy customer will tell this to all his or her friends thus giving the store good publicity.

I would also state that the employee should not get fired from this event, and would want to see him or her there next time I come in. If the employee does get fired, its an employer I wouldn't want to work for anyway. Things always seem to work out in the long run.

Now this is what I would do if I owned the store or was manager. Remember the customer is always right.

Grey Owl
decee

Post by decee »

You were going there anyways. If it was in stock would you have asked for your gas money to get there?
Forget about the gas money. Wait till they deliver it and if you are finished with Basspro, I'll give you $10 for the gift certificate.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

decee wrote:You were going there anyways. If it was in stock would you have asked for your gas money to get there?
Forget about the gas money. Wait till they deliver it and if you are finished with Basspro, I'll give you $10 for the gift certificate.
Ditto I agree, I think the majority has spoken. As far as the cetificate, I'm surprised you didn't offer him $9.98, since you've already gave him your 2 cent worth. :lol:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

2 cents...plus consulting fees, computer time, heating, elecricity, double overtime...heck Chessy you owe us all a $25.00 coupon. :wink: :lol:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.