Another Semi-newbie Question (sorry guys)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly

Another Semi-newbie Question (sorry guys)

Post by Grizzly »

Hello to everyone: First of all I would like to commend everyone on this forum. I belong to several, and this one, by far, is the most polite and informative one I have been to. I am by no means fresh to the bow-hunting world as I have been bowhunting with a compound for 24 yrs. now. But, that being said I am now in the market for a crossbow, and like the rest of you I want the best, (Excalibur), of course.
Now, problem being. which one?? Has anyone had the chance to shoot/compare the Exocet 200 against the Phoenix, as these are the two I have narrowed it down to. I will be hunting deer/tukey only with it. What is the differences, if any, in accuracy/repeatability between these two? I have no physical limits to narrow my decision down either.
I would probably be shooting my Fathers mint condition Wolverine (only approx. 70 shots all at targets, but one.), but he figured my wife should have it and I should buy my own. By the way it was her's that was the one shot not at target, her first deer this year. And first year deer hunting.
Sorry for the long winded first post , but any help would be much appreciated.
Thank's in advance: Mike
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I haven't had the chance to shoot any of these two, but if your only going for deer and turkey, I would pick the Phoenix. My Exomag is a 200 lb. test, and it seems a little hard on strings.

Like someone once said, all Excalibur's will go completely through a deer, it just depends how far you want to chase the bolt after it goes through.

Grey Owl
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

Welcome Grizzly,

If deer/turkey are your only game....I would go with the Phoenix =

All the power of the 175# Exocet with the shorter stoke of the VIxen.

Can't go wrong. :wink:
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Welcome to the forum. Either one is great, do you want a little extra punch or a little easier time cocking?
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Welcome to the forum Grizzly from another Woodstonian :lol:

I also shoot a Wolverine & am considering the Pheonix as my son is showing an interest in starting to hunt.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
CaptainCharles

Post by CaptainCharles »

GREY OWL wrote:

Like someone once said, all Excalibur's will go completely through a deer, it just depends how far you want to chase the bolt after it goes through.

Grey Owl
I have come to peace with the idea that I will never recover an arrow shot with my Exomax..(In a hunting situation, from a ground blind.)

:x
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Thank's for all the help guy's. Still undecided. Hey Partikle, the ease of cocking is no concern, more interested in the accuracy difference, if any.
Does anyone have any experience with Archer's Nook of London Ont.? If so, how did they treat you before and after purchase? Was looking around and their prices are good and they are close to home.
Thanks
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Grizzly e-mail bj, he may be able to set you up with a better deal, MAYBE...he is the best to deal with.. :D

PS: WELCOME TO DA FORUM :!: :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hey Grizzly,

Some of the guys like the easier cocking when target shooting many shots. I use a cocking aid for my ExoMax, I would not want to accidently forget it on a hunting outing or I would have sore fingers for the rest of the day!

Both bows are probably the same accuracy. If you want a little less bolt drop out at 30 yards or want less string jump with a deer, go with the exocet 200. Either way you will be happy!

As far a dealers, check this out...
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=7938

Nick
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Thak's Partikle and everyone else who replied. I will probably stop in at BJ's next time up at cottage (in-laws) just North of Huntsville. I have heard nothing but good news about him and services offered. Does he have a shooting range to try bows?
Mike
Digger

Post by Digger »

Grizzly, bj has about 20 targets out back of his place (3D & targets) where you can try out your xbow and sight in your new one. :D 8) 8)

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity